• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Slow Pacing in Panzer Campaigns?
08-25-2021, 05:17 AM,
Slow Pacing in Panzer Campaigns?
Playing through Kiev '43 now, enjoying it, it is a rather interesting situation!  

But one problem I have with Kiev and actually most of the other Panzer Campaigns games is the incredibly slow pace.  In most terrain, most units can move one hex--one kilometer in two hours!  Couple that with the thousands of units you have to move, and for me anyway the snail's pace gets very old after a while.   I generally don't buy PzC games set in winter for this one reason.

Am I the only one to feel like this?  Has any thought been given to increasing movement somehow?
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2021, 05:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 05:28 AM by tbridges.)
RE: Slow Pacing in Panzer Campaigns?
Am I the only one to feel like this?  Has any thought been given to increasing movement somehow?
[/quote]

DITTO
08-25-2021, 05:44 AM,
(08-25-2021, 05:17 AM)76mm Wrote: Am I the only one to feel like this? 

I try to stay away from snow and mud as they move at a snail's pace, as they should. Propeller Hat
08-25-2021, 08:34 AM,
(08-25-2021, 05:44 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I try to stay away from snow and mud as they move at a snail's pace, as they should. Propeller Hat
But I'm not even talking about mud--just "soft" conditions. Even in column on dirt roads with no mud, infantry can move at most 3 hexes per turn), equal to 1.5 kmph. Seems very, very, slow, and really slows games down to a snail's pace. Even mechanized units can generally move only two hexes in open ground under "soft" conditions....so 1 kmph for motorized units. albeit cross-country.
08-25-2021, 10:00 AM,
(08-25-2021, 08:34 AM)76mm Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 05:44 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I try to stay away from snow and mud as they move at a snail's pace, as they should. Propeller Hat
But I'm not even talking about mud--just "soft" conditions.  Even in column on dirt roads with no mud, infantry can move at most 3 hexes per turn), equal to 1.5 kmph.  Seems very, very, slow, and really slows games down to a snail's pace.  Even mechanized units can generally move only two hexes in open ground under "soft" conditions....so 1 kmph for motorized units. albeit cross-country.

++1 76mm!

One of the main reasons I don't play or compete in Panzer Campaigns. I found Minsk '44 and other titles way to slow with marsh and swamps everywhere in all kinds of conditions. I'll stick to the Campaign Series where mobility is a lot better in mud and snow. Definitely a whole lot better in clear weather.

Not sure what the answer is here to help movement in Panzer Campaigns. I feel the development team needs to take a closer look at the movement issue. Wink
08-25-2021, 10:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 10:07 AM by Liebchen.)
(08-25-2021, 08:34 AM)76mm Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 05:44 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: I try to stay away from snow and mud as they move at a snail's pace, as they should. Propeller Hat
But I'm not even talking about mud--just "soft" conditions.  Even in column on dirt roads with no mud, infantry can move at most 3 hexes per turn), equal to 1.5 kmph.  Seems very, very, slow, and really slows games down to a snail's pace.  Even mechanized units can generally move only two hexes in open ground under "soft" conditions....so 1 kmph for motorized units. albeit cross-country.

This C morale foot unit just moved four hexes while deployed. I'm not following you.

[Image: 2021-08-24_16h59_13.png]
[Image: 2021-08-24_16h58_52.png]
08-25-2021, 01:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 01:39 PM by 76mm.)
(08-25-2021, 10:04 AM)Liebchen Wrote: This C morale foot unit just moved four hexes while deployed. I'm not following you.
You don't say which game/scenario you're playing, or what the ground conditions are, but I have never had any infantry unit move more than two hexes, and usually it is one (any terrain other than two open hexes means max one hex move). Four? Haven't seen even close. I'm playing the Kiev '43 campaign, generally soft ground conditions.

If you have normal ground conditions, great. That's why I usually only play PzC games set in the summer. I stopped buying winter games after Moscow '42 and won't buy any more--moving every unit one hex at a time across a campaign map for 300 turns (or whatever) is beyond tedious.
08-25-2021, 09:55 PM,
(08-25-2021, 01:36 PM)76mm Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 10:04 AM)Liebchen Wrote: This C morale foot unit just moved four hexes while deployed. I'm not following you.
You don't say which game/scenario you're playing, or what the ground conditions are, but I have never had any infantry unit move more than two hexes, and usually it is one (any terrain other than two open hexes means max one hex move).  Four?  Haven't seen even close.  I'm playing the Kiev '43 campaign, generally soft ground conditions. 

If you have normal ground conditions, great.  That's why I usually only play PzC games set in the summer.  I stopped buying winter games after Moscow '42 and won't buy any more--moving every unit one hex at a time across a campaign map for 300 turns (or whatever) is beyond tedious.
Four hexes per turn over level, clear terrain in normal conditions is "normal"; I've seen it many times. Don't forget elevation changes affect movement as well. I can't remember the exact movement cost, but it's X mp per 50 meters of elevation. I've been playing Salerno for a while now and there are quite a few hexsides that change 100 or 150 m in elevation, so moving across those hexsides will cost just about your entire movement allowance. And I think units with a quality rating below C have a lower movement allowance as well.

The real question here is: is the movement allowance realistic? Four hexes/turn = 2 kph = 1.25 mph. Consider that a normal walking pace is usually 3-4 mph (no load, level firm ground). Now consider a soldier carrying anywhere from 25-50 (70?) lbs. of gear in combat conditions and I think 1.25 mph is reasonable. Idk, I've never been in combat so I'm just riffing here. But yeah, if you don't like the slow pace then staying away from the winter/mud scenarios is the answer I think.
08-25-2021, 10:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 10:03 PM by Kool Kat.)
(08-25-2021, 05:17 AM)76mm Wrote: Playing through Kiev '43 now, enjoying it, it is a rather interesting situation!  

But one problem I have with Kiev and actually most of the other Panzer Campaigns games is the incredibly slow pace.  In most terrain, most units can move one hex--one kilometer in two hours!  Couple that with the thousands of units you have to move, and for me anyway the snail's pace gets very old after a while.   I generally don't buy PzC games set in winter for this one reason.

Gent:  Smoke7

You want speed? Why not play one of the desert titles? That will give you over 150 scenarios to play. If the desert is not your cup of tea, why don't you only play scenarios set in the summer - no winter or mud conditions? That should give you another 150 + scenarios to play. 

If that's not enough, why not play some of the Modern Campaigns titles? Another 200+ scenarios there. Lots of fast armor and mech forces.

If all else fails, maybe go play a first person shooter video game? 

Plenty of options. You just have to look for them!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-25-2021, 10:44 PM,
(08-25-2021, 10:00 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: You want speed? Why not play one of the desert titles? That will give you over 150 scenarios to play. If the desert is not your cup of tea, why don't you only play scenarios set in the summer - no winter or mud conditions? That should give you another 150 + scenarios to play. 
So you define "speed" as being able to move more than one hex per turn? So anything more than 500 meters per hour is "speed"? Um, OK...

And as already explained, I'm *not* playing with winter or mud conditions, but soft conditions...

(08-25-2021, 10:00 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: If all else fails, maybe go play a first person shooter video game? 
I see...so if someone doesn't agree with your position, then they are only fit to play FPS games. Got it.