• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '40: Early Releases?
08-22-2021, 11:50 AM,
France '40: Early Releases?
In a current game (0510-01B4),  playing the German side, the time is 0800 May 20th. In the vicinity of Brussels, I'm in contact with eight bns of 51st Highland Div, while south of the Sambre between Phillipville and Beaumont I have contact with at least one armoured unit of French 2nd Armoured (2e division cuirassee).  

The trouble is that 51 Highland doesn't release until 0400 May 21, while 2nd Armoured is scheduled to release on May 27. Release by spotting is very unlikely: I never pushed toward the 51st's starting area on the Maginot Line, and even if my troops came close enough to spot a few Highland bns, that wouldn't explain the appearance of the entire division before Brussels. And certainly my troops have never been anywhere near the starting position of 2nd Armoured, far behind the front at Chalons-sur-Marne. 

So my question is how is it possible for units to be released early, such that these two divisions are before my troops several days' travel from their starting areas? Not complaining, mind - but certainly puzzled.
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2021, 12:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2021, 12:05 PM by Sir John Cope.)
RE: France '40: Early Releases?
(08-22-2021, 11:50 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: In a current game (0510-01B4),  playing the German side, the time is 0800 May 20th. In the vicinity of Brussels, I'm in contact with eight bns of 51st Highland Div, while south of the Sambre between Phillipville and Beaumont I have contact with at least one armoured unit of French 2nd Armoured (2e division cuirassee).  

The trouble is that 51 Highland doesn't release until 0400 May 21, while 2nd Armoured is scheduled to release on May 27. Release by spotting is very unlikely: I never pushed toward the 51st's starting area on the Maginot Line, and even if my troops came close enough to spot a few Highland bns, that wouldn't explain the appearance of the entire division before Brussels. And certainly my troops have never been anywhere near the starting position of 2nd Armoured, far behind the front at Chalons-sur-Marne. 

So my question is how is it possible for units to be released early, such that these two divisions are before my troops several days' travel from their starting areas? Not complaining, mind - but certainly puzzled.

Found the answer to my own question: 51st Highland releases (for the first time) on 0400 May 11, and 2e div cuirassee at 0400 May 13. Plenty of time to turn up at the front by May 20. 

There are later entries for the same units as above. Is there a point to the duplicate release times? An artifact of playtesting or improved OB information? Or does it relate to some game mechanic?
08-22-2021, 01:54 PM,
Are some release entries actually "fixing" the divisions, then followed by another release? I know the Germans have that type of setup, not sure of these units though. If so, it would be a design decision to replicate historical actions, preventing full use of units that higher command issues orders about, or inaction at critical times, etc.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-23-2021, 12:26 AM,
(08-22-2021, 01:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Are some release entries actually "fixing" the divisions, then followed by another release? I know the Germans have that type of setup, not sure of these units though. If so, it would be a design decision to replicate historical actions, preventing full use of units that higher command issues orders about, or inaction at critical times, etc.

Good idea - but I don't think that can be it. On the German side, where units are fixed (the panzer "hold orders") this is indicated in the release file with all-caps "FIXED". I don't see that code anywhere in the Allied release list.
08-23-2021, 03:46 AM,
(08-23-2021, 12:26 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 01:54 PM)Ricky B Wrote: Are some release entries actually "fixing" the divisions, then followed by another release? I know the Germans have that type of setup, not sure of these units though. If so, it would be a design decision to replicate historical actions, preventing full use of units that higher command issues orders about, or inaction at critical times, etc.

Good idea - but I don't think that can be it. On the German side, where units are fixed (the panzer "hold orders") this is indicated in the release file with all-caps "FIXED". I don't see that code anywhere in the Allied release list.

It's my understanding that a unit can have multiple release times, with different percentages assigned to the different times. Thus, release becoming less or (usually) more likely.
08-24-2021, 02:04 AM,
That would explain it - thanks.
08-24-2021, 10:16 PM,
Maybe, it could also be chalked up as indecision. I've seen many times a unit start and stop because of that. It only takes one leader all the way down to Platoon Leader to make a mess like that. And those were Field Exercises.
08-26-2021, 04:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2021, 04:39 AM by ComradeP.)
Many Allied units in front of the main Maginot Line defenses have divisional T release triggers. Though an early release of the Highland Division shouldn't normally happen provided there is no movement by the German units in their sector, numerous French units are likely to be released on (one of) the first daylight turn(s).
08-27-2021, 01:38 AM,
(08-26-2021, 04:38 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Many Allied units in front of the main Maginot Line defenses have divisional T release triggers. Though an early release of the Highland Division shouldn't normally happen provided there is no movement by the German units in their sector, numerous French units are likely to be released on (one of) the first daylight turn(s).

A T release means that if any element of the division is spotted by enemy, the entire division is released, right?

I see that you set all the releases to 100%. It's of no consequence at all, but I'm just curious why there's a need for later release entries in that case - 51st Highland will either release by spotting earlier or else automatically no latter than May 11, so what's the point of the release command for May 21? 

Thank you, however, for a really fantastic game. The scenario I'm playing now (0510-01B4) has provided a bit of everything: sweeping grand maneuver, fingernail-biting tactical gambits, tooth-and-claw slugging matches and elegant thrusts of the fencer's blade, all on a map expansive enough to allow multiple strategic choices to both sides, and all with a fascinating array of troop types, strengths and weaknesses.
09-02-2021, 09:20 AM,
(08-27-2021, 01:38 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: A T release means that if any element of the division is spotted by enemy, the entire division is released, right?

I see that you set all the releases to 100%. It's of no consequence at all, but I'm just curious why there's a need for later release entries in that case - 51st Highland will either release by spotting earlier or else automatically no latter than May 11, so what's the point of the release command for May 21? 

Thank you, however, for a really fantastic game. The scenario I'm playing now (0510-01B4) has provided a bit of everything: sweeping grand maneuver, fingernail-biting tactical gambits, tooth-and-claw slugging matches and elegant thrusts of the fencer's blade, all on a map expansive enough to allow multiple strategic choices to both sides, and all with a fascinating array of troop types, strengths and weaknesses.

Glad you are are enjoying France '40! 

Also, not to spill the beans before all is ready to go and we have a blog post out, but there are some very exciting things going on with F40 that will allow for even more room for maneuver and operational decision making.

As for the release command - we have to set a release date even for a triggered release, so I chose the date they historically moved from that sector of the Maginot line, even if the real intent is to allow them to move earlier.

-Mike Prucha

-Mike Prucha