• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patrolling
08-10-2021, 06:40 AM,
Patrolling
Can't find anything about patrolling in the user manual. What is the patrol range of a unit? If a motorcycle recon battalion is on patrol is its range 108 hexes? Thanks jonny Propeller Hat
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2021, 06:58 AM,
RE: Patrolling
Jonny, there is an entire section on Patrolling in the user manual, not sure why you don't see it. I did a simple search for patrolling and it came up. Now I didn't check every game?

Per your question, here are the pertinent sentences, I think:

While Patrolling, the unit will negate the ability of any
Partisan unit within Deception range of having any
Deception effects. In addition, a Patrolling unit will be able to spot any enemy
unit within 2 hexes, regardless of line of sight restrictions.
[Image: exercise.png]
08-11-2021, 02:58 AM,
(08-10-2021, 06:58 AM)Ricky B Wrote: Jonny, there is an entire section on Patrolling in the user manual, not sure why you don't see it. I did a simple search for patrolling and it came up. Now I didn't check every game?

Per your question, here are the pertinent sentences, I think:

While Patrolling, the unit will negate the ability of any
Partisan unit within Deception range of having any
Deception effects. In addition, a Patrolling unit will be able to spot any enemy
unit within 2 hexes, regardless of line of sight restrictions.

I must have an older version of the manual. However; what is "Deception range?" Is it 2 hexes? What is the effective range of a Partizan unit? I still don't get it.   thanks , jonny Helmet Rolleyes
08-11-2021, 04:05 AM,
Check the parameter data for that. An option in the menu, if I remember right.
08-11-2021, 08:49 AM,
(08-10-2021, 06:40 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Can't find anything about patrolling in the user manual. What is the patrol range of a unit? If a motorcycle recon battalion is on patrol is its range 108 hexes? Thanks jonny Propeller Hat

Re patrolling: I have found patrolling remarkably useful in the DF 85 Bolt mod when playing NATO.
08-11-2021, 10:54 AM,
(08-11-2021, 08:49 AM)Aolain Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 06:40 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: Can't find anything about patrolling in the user manual. What is the patrol range of a unit? If a motorcycle recon battalion is on patrol is its range 108 hexes? Thanks jonny Propeller Hat

Re patrolling: I have found patrolling remarkably useful in the DF 85 Bolt mod when playing NATO.
I'm using it vs. Partizans although I've had instances where a friendly unit in the same hex as a patrolling unit is disordered by the partizans. When that happens I can't help but think the feature isn't working as envisioned by the game designers. jonny Thumbs Down
08-11-2021, 01:21 PM,
So check the PDT, as I suggested, then you may be able to provide more details as to whether there is an issue or not. Without knowing what game/scenario is involved, I can't tell if there is an issue, but getting disrupted in a hex by partisans when you are patrolling from that hex may be exactly what the game designer wanted.

For example, doing some leg work to find an example rather than randomness, in Serbia, 1915, the deception range for side A (Allied player I think) is 3, while the deception range for side B is only 2. Hence, the partisan type units can be 1 hex outside of the patrolling unit's range and thus disrupt a unit in the hex with the patrolling unit.

And that is on purpose, exactly the interaction/asymmetry between the forces that Ed built into Serbia, and possibly the title you are playing.

Rick
08-14-2021, 03:06 AM,
(08-11-2021, 01:21 PM)Ricky B Wrote: So check the PDT, as I suggested, then you may be able to provide more details as to whether there is an issue or not. Without knowing what game/scenario is involved, I can't tell if there is an issue, but getting disrupted in a hex by partisans when you are patrolling from that hex may be exactly what the game designer wanted.

For example, doing some leg work to find an example rather than randomness, in Serbia, 1915, the deception range for side A (Allied player I think) is 3, while the deception range for side B is only 2. Hence, the partisan type units can be 1 hex outside of the patrolling unit's range and thus disrupt a unit in the hex with the patrolling unit.

And that is on purpose, exactly the interaction/asymmetry between the forces that Ed built into Serbia, and possibly the title you are playing.

Rick

Thanks, that makes sense.  jonny LOL
08-14-2021, 07:49 AM,
(08-11-2021, 01:21 PM)Ricky B Wrote: So check the PDT, as I suggested, then you may be able to provide more details as to whether there is an issue or not. Without knowing what game/scenario is involved, I can't tell if there is an issue, but getting disrupted in a hex by partisans when you are patrolling from that hex may be exactly what the game designer wanted.

Rick

Rick,

I have no knowledge of how things work in FWWC but it appears to be different from PzC.

In PzC, patrolling negates the ability of Partisans within the deception range of those partisans. So, if the deception range of the partisans is 5, a patrolling unit will negate partisans within a 5 hex range.

This is how I would interpret the description in the User Manual. Typically only one side will have a deception range. The patrolling units are not using deception so their sides deception value is not relevant. At least, that is my understanding and I believe that is how it was intended. So, in PzC, partisans cannot disrupt a unit in the same hex as patrolling unit.

John
08-14-2021, 08:32 AM,
Good to know John, thanks. I went ahead and set up a test in each series, and actually both series seem to work as you suggest. The patrolling range is based on the deception unit side's deception range, rather than its own. However, I am positive that at one time in Serbia the patrolling range was limited to the patrolling side's deception range. The game notes even state, matching the PDT values and what i remember seeing awhile ago:

having a non-disrupted Chetnik unit within 3 hexes of enemy units moving in Travel Mode
and
enemy units patrolling within 2 hexes of the Chetnik unit will negate the Chetnik unit's Travel Mode disruption effect.

So it seems a change was made at some point, maybe not on purpose but I have no idea, to either bring FWWC in line with PzC, or impacting both to implement the current behavior. I will have to share that with Ed though, as he purposely had the different ranges in place and it seemed to work.

Also, it makes me curious what game and version Jonny is playing with, to have units disrupt in the patrolling unit's hex - as I noted old versions of Serbia, at least, did, but not seemingly the new version. And maybe the same with PzC.

Rick