• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pulling the trigger
07-22-2021, 10:53 PM,
Pulling the trigger
Due to declining health I decided to retire. Two years early but about time now. Waiting2
Just ask my wife. Wink

Today is my last day of work. Tomorrow I go in for goodbyes and turn in my keys. Sweep

Looking forward to a month or two off and then finding a low energy job. Just to keep busy. Rolling Eyes

Farmer

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2021, 12:36 AM,
RE: Pulling the trigger
Welcome to the club! I retired in April 2019, and have never looked back. Every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday. My wife and I are really enjoying each other (30th anniversary coming up). Plus, my golf game has improved. I think you are going to love it.
07-23-2021, 06:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 06:30 AM by Scud.)
Yes, welcome. You lasted longer than I did.

A few tips:
  1. Try not to sleep past 9am. In the beginning this sounds easy. Not so much after a few years.
  2. Try to get up, shower and get dressed right away, rather than lingering around half the day in your pajamas. This goes double if you sleep in the nude.
  3. Be prepared for the horror of a sudden interest in gardening.
  4. Try not to putter around the house. I'm honestly not sure what this is, but my wife says I do it. A lot.
  5. Speaking of wives, try not to follow them around a lot asking them what they're doing. It won't end well.
  6. Go for a leisurely slow drive at rush hour. I LOVE this one!
  7. Give your kid business advice even when they don't ask. Do this as often as possible.
  8. Be prepared for the horror of a sudden interest in bird watching and catching yourself saying things like "ooo honey look, it's a cardinal!" Also, be prepared for your wife's "you're such an asshole" response.
  9. Enjoy retirement. I'm not sure what this means either, but people keep saying it to me.

10. Enjoy retirement, Ed!
Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
07-23-2021, 10:17 AM,
Hey Ed,

First off congrats on your retirement and enjoy it!!

Mine is 2 years and almost 1 month now. You will love it my friend!! Trust me!

Come winter, have your coffee, tea or whatever standing in your front window in the morning waving as your neighbors go to work! I have loved this immensely and am not sorry about my response! They understand.

Like you I put my time in!!

You now have 6 Saturday's and 1 Sunday every week, for each week every month! There is nothing that is pressing or absolutely that has to get done, remember that!!

Take each day for what it is worth, they are mostly good. But beware, doctors want their cash and invent reasons to have you make a trip to their office as frequently as possible. In their eyes you are a cash cow!

I have gotten a lot closer to my wife Gwen just sitting, talking, laughing and most important hearing what she says. Also her smile every time I need to see it. 24/7! 

She is a nurse (LPN) hospitals and me a Metallurgical Engineer, steel mills. We went through life loving all along but on our own separate avenues every day for so many years I can't count. It's wonderful now spending each second with her!! 
Honestly she is our better half!!

Ed, enjoy your retirement time, your wife, your family and above all be thankful you made it to paradise brother!!

So so so many don't.

Kind regards always my friend!!
John
07-23-2021, 11:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2021, 01:20 PM by zap.)
Retiring, allows for a freedom I wish I had when younger. Things are good. Except for the health. I noticed you mentioned that as factor. For that reason, as has been mentioned here, savor the time doing what you like to do.
I've been retired for four years. I think I've enjoyed my time (don't remember it all).  I joined a Gym but Having difficulty in walking I don't' think I'll keep up the membership. watched a lot of television. That becomes boring as hell. As you mentioned, wanting to take up something, eventually.

So to break the boredom, I took up something I could do. Ubering, Lyft (not Uber eats too physically demanding so just take on riders), can actually be a good activity for a retired person with physical limitations. Your the boss, work as much or as little as you want. I like it. I do have to watch myself and limit my driving (old habit of working many hours wants to creep back in) however, as a retired person it works great.
Best wishes for a fun filled retirement.
07-24-2021, 03:11 PM,
Hello Ed, 

Good luck in this new chapter to your life. 

Erik
07-27-2021, 05:16 AM,
Retirement sounds fantastic,
I am honing my fishing skills every week in anticipation.
Quote:Sir Winston Churchill said they were the "Finest Regiment in the world" The Gordon Highlanders ,
07-27-2021, 10:43 PM,
(07-23-2021, 11:35 AM)zap Wrote: Retiring, allows for a freedom I wish I had when younger. Things are good. Except for the health. I noticed you mentioned that as factor. For that reason, as has been mentioned here, savor the time doing what you like to do.
I've been retired for four years. I think I've enjoyed my time (don't remember it all).  I joined a Gym but Having difficulty in walking I don't' think I'll keep up the membership. watched a lot of television. That becomes boring as hell. As you mentioned, wanting to take up something, eventually.

So to break the boredom, I took up something I could do. Ubering, Lyft (not Uber eats too physically demanding so just take on riders), can actually be a good activity for a retired person with physical limitations. Your the boss, work as much or as little as you want. I like it. I do have to watch myself and limit my driving (old habit of working many hours wants to creep back in) however, as a retired person it works great.
Best wishes for a fun filled retirement.

I've been at it since 2007 with degenerative arthritis and the added stroke since 2016.  Haven't left the house without my wife since then.  So, I game, watch youtube videos,dogs and cats are the best, and picked up Out of the Park Baseball.  There are just too many ways to get unbored.  Big Grin
07-27-2021, 11:56 PM,
Thanks guys.
All the comments are helpful as I find a way to muddle through. Hamster Wheel

I've worked for almost 53 years without a break so this sudden stop at the end will take getting used to.

At least I don't have to request off from work for doctors appointments? Helmet Smile

And, when Gail tells me she has this or that day off I can say, "oh, so do I". Bubbles2

Farmer

HSL
07-31-2021, 02:52 AM,
(07-22-2021, 10:53 PM)Herr Straße Laufer Wrote: Due to declining health I decided to retire. Two years early but about time now. Waiting2
Just ask my wife. Wink

Today is my last day of work. Tomorrow I go in for goodbyes and turn in my keys. Sweep

Looking forward to a month or two off and then finding a low energy job. Just to keep busy. Rolling Eyes

Farmer

HSL

ED!   It is the day that most dread... Horror stories about retiring, all end, like most horror stories...
You gotta keep on staying busy, bro!
My dad is still going, after18 years of being retired, because he keeps on doing something, whereas all his friends, who retired, before and after him are.. gone...
  Soap Box   I think we got it ass backwards, we should be retired, until we're 40, then we can work til we dead.. that way we get to enjoy the life shit... and work don't matter so much anymore... Whistle

Best of days, to you, my Friend!

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard