• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fanatical nations towed guns
07-15-2021, 06:46 PM,
Fanatical nations towed guns
In an on-going Japan '46 game, I've seen several instances where Disrupted Japanese defenders retreat except for the towed guns. Infantry guns in particular.

The entire defending stack retreats 1 hex, but the infantry guns stay in place.

Is this a side-effect of fanatical nations not suffering additional losses when retreating/unable to retreat as normally towed guns would take additional losses when retreating?
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2021, 02:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-17-2021, 04:00 AM by Green.)
RE: Fanatical nations towed guns
Good question. I do not recall ever seeing guns, other than towed AT guns retreating so I suspect other guns are simply lost during a retreat result in normal circumstances. If so, this is not documented. Maybe someone else knows the answer to this. If not, I will run some tests when I get a chance. Possibly it has nothing to due with being an AT gun but is just a function of the guns movement allowance and also the cost to change into travel mode.

But as you say, since the Japanese are Fanatical, they do not suffer additional losses when unable to retreat, so it makes sense that those guns normally eliminated by a retreat result, would remain in place. The effect you are seeing is definitely a function of the Fanatical rule. And it does not sound like a bug, but I cannot be 100% sure if this was what was intended.

EDIT - Having had a look in the User Manual I see that it says;

"Normally, units which must be in Travel Mode to move cannot retreat as a result of combat and are automatically eliminated if they are forced to retreat.
There is one exception to this rule:
• Towed Anti-Tank guns (that are not immobile) suffer 50% losses to their strength after the assault is resolved but are allowed to retreat and automatically enter Travel Mode."

So, my comment that this was 'not documented' was incorrect. One day I will have to get around to reading the User Manual as it probably has lots of useful information...
07-19-2021, 07:37 AM,
(07-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Green Wrote: So, my comment that this was 'not documented' was incorrect. One day I will have to get around to reading the User Manual as it probably has lots of useful information...

Hahaha John, you could write the manual with all that knowledge tucked away in that brain of yours! Your practical experience bridged with your mathematical comprehension abilities makes you the master! Cheers my friend...Jon
07-19-2021, 11:25 AM,
(07-19-2021, 07:37 AM)larsonney Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Green Wrote: So, my comment that this was 'not documented' was incorrect. One day I will have to get around to reading the User Manual as it probably has lots of useful information...

Hahaha John, you could write the manual with all that knowledge tucked away in that brain of yours! Your practical experience bridged with your mathematical comprehension abilities makes you the master! Cheers my friend...Jon

Jon,

Wow! Not sure what you are drinking but it must be some good stuff...

Should we go back and look at our head to head ladder results to see how the 'master' is consistanty taught a lesson? Personally I would rather not! But thanks for the kind words. Smile

John