• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Kiev '43--No solo version of campaign game?
07-11-2021, 02:45 AM,
Kiev '43--No solo version of campaign game?
I just fired up Kiev '43 for the first time and thought I'd try the campaign game vs the AI; while I know that the AI generally sucks for the PzC campaign games, at the moment I'm up for an easy game.  But I can only find head-to-head versions of the campaign game...have the devs stopped including AI versions of the campaign games?
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2021, 11:23 AM,
RE: Kiev '43--No solo version of campaign game?
The AI will still handle things if you like, there just won't be a "balanced" version based on the victory levels. And if you playing as the attacker it won't be significantly worse than a scripted AI defense for something like a campaign.

That said, I played a fair number of turns as the axis player in all of the long full scenarios at the various times, except the initial campaign where Kiev fell, with the Axis attacking. And due to the Soviet strength advantage they were challenging.
[Image: exercise.png]
07-12-2021, 02:54 AM,
Thanks...but since Soviets were generally attacking in this campaign (AFAIK), I was thinking it would be more challenging (in a relative sense) to play as soviets? I thought that AIs seem to generally do better in defense?
07-12-2021, 05:43 AM,
(07-12-2021, 02:54 AM)76mm Wrote: Thanks...but since Soviets were generally attacking in this campaign (AFAIK), I was thinking it would be more challenging (in a relative sense) to play as soviets?  I thought that AIs seem to generally do better in defense?

The biggest campaign is Nov 3 and has the Soviets attacking to start. However the later big battles have the Germans moving to counterattack a much larger Soviet force, although there will be Soviet attacks even by the ai, although those won't be well done. 

I just noticed the Nov 15 scenario implies the Soviets have ai orders and has solo victory conditions in a separate document so maybe try that one?

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
07-12-2021, 05:55 AM,
Here are two scenarios that can be played as solo and be sure to read the solo victory conditions document.

#43_1112_04_Capturing Zhitomir (VAR1)

Date: November 12, 1943 - Size: Medium - Location: Zhitomir, 142 kms west of Kiev

Intended for Head to Head play or Solo play as either side (Best played as Allied)

For Solo victory conditions please consult the "Kiev-43_Solo-Vic-Cond.pdf" document <---

Scenario Briefing: In this variant of the historical situation the 23rd Division takes the place of the 1st Guards Cavalry Division which now deploys to the northwest closer to the rest of its corps.

Recommended Rules: [Default]
Alternative Assault Resolution, Artillery Set Up, Recon Spotting, Virtual Supply Trucks, Low Visibility Air Effects, Quality Fatigue Modifier, Counterbattery Fire, Night Fatigue, Programmed Weather, Limited Air Recon.

#43_1112_05_Counterattack at Fastov

Date: November 12, 1943 - Size: Medium - Location: Fastov, 63 kms SW of Kiev

Intended for Head to Head play or Solo play as either side vs. AI (Best played as Axis)

For Solo victory conditions please consult the "Kiev-43_Solo-Vic-Cond.pdf" document <---

Scenario Briefing: This scenario covers the early attempts of the 48th Panzer Corps to retake Fastov on the 12th thru 13th of November. The Russians had decided on a defensive posture and the German 25th Panzer Division was unequal to the task. "Das Reich" supported the operation by guarding the flank of the armored division and making attacks of their own. Eventually the Germans had to call off the attack. The action gets underway as the scenario opens with both sides at point blank range in front of Fastov!

Note: This scenario uses Limited Objectives. The players will want to refer to the Objectives Dialog for the exact turns when they expire.

Recommended Rules: [Default]
Alternative Assault Resolution, Artillery Set Up, Recon Spotting, Virtual Supply Trucks, Low Visibility Air Effects, Quality Fatigue Modifier, Counterbattery Fire, Night Fatigue, Programmed Weather, Limited Air Recon.
07-12-2021, 10:31 AM,
wildb, thanks, but I generally prefer the campaign scenarios...more meaty!

Ricky B, thanks, maybe I'll try that one, or maybe I'll just play both sides like I usually do.
07-13-2021, 12:23 AM,
I find that to play a solo campaign PzC title, you have to be the defending side against overwhelming odds.
for example Minsk or mius, even Korsun, Budapest. Basically defend against the soviet steamroller, for the "Al" this is fairly simple.
"JUST HEAD WEST" stop for a few turns to resupply in men and fatigue then WEST AGAIN!!
To be fair, I think thats what the actual historic orders were... wave after wave LOL..

Or for the soviet side, Smolensk or Moscow.

I have in the past, for campaigns, added additional enemy units (divisions, even armies) to the OBB, then setup the AI.
(I know it's not historical) but it does create a single player campaign scenario. And it is a challenge to try and stop the onslaught..
07-13-2021, 01:34 AM,
Interesting that you say that...the few times I've played a campaign vs the AI, I've played as attacker. Actually the only time I haven't won a quick and decisive victory against the AI was when I played Minsk 44 as Soviet...I ended up with virtually all of the objectives, but still only got a draw or marginal victory (don't remember), although the biggest challenge wasn't the AI but the channelized terrain, rivers, blown bridges, etc. Frankly, I didn't find that campaign very fun.