• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

adding sounds
07-06-2021, 08:01 PM,
adding sounds
Hi---in the SB Soviet-Afghan War game there is a "Guard Dog" detection unit. But it makes no sound. 

And so is it possible to add a "dog bark" WAV file and have it play in-game when the Guard Dog unit "fires"? If so, how do you do it? How do you add sounds?

Many thanks in advance for replies! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2021, 09:14 PM,
RE: adding sounds
(07-06-2021, 08:01 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Hi---in the SB Soviet-Afghan War game there is a "Guard Dog" detection unit. But it makes no sound. 

And so is it possible to add a "dog bark" WAV file and have it play in-game when the Guard Dog unit "fires"? If so, how do you do it? How do you add sounds?

Many thanks in advance for replies! :-)

Hi neonlicht,
It should be possible.

According to the SB Editing.pdf included in the Notes folder there is a sound slot assigned to "Dog", with the code 38.

Squad Battles assigns sounds to loads, not weapons. It also includes two possible sounds for each: one for Firing and another for Explosion. If you open the Loads.dat via sqdata.exe you should find the sound used under the Firing column in the entry for load used by the guard dog (I assume it would be something like "bark"? Helmet Wink ). If you don't hear any sound in-game it's likely because there's no sound assigned here. Also check that the flag "Use sound" is checked for the load.

Now it may happen that the sound for the dog is simply not included in the Media folder. If that is the case, it won't appear in the dropdown for the Firing sounds. What you need to do is get elsewhere any "dog" sound that you like in .wav format and add it to the Media folder with the name "38Weapon0.wav". That should make the sound available in the editor.
07-06-2021, 10:52 PM,
Hi and many thanks for this---much appreciated! :-)

Yep---followed your instructions and it worked fine!

Found some dog-barking sounds at Freesound.org: https://freesound.org/
07-06-2021, 11:36 PM,
(07-06-2021, 10:52 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Hi and many thanks for this---much appreciated! :-)

Yep---followed your instructions and it worked fine!

Found some dog-barking sounds at Freesound.org: https://freesound.org/

Glad it worked!
A dog sounds cool. I don't have SAW but these instructions should work for any game, as I believe they all share the same internal codes (as per the Notes).
07-07-2021, 06:20 AM,
You can also copy dog barking sounds from IronX Red Star mod.
07-07-2021, 10:10 AM,
Also make movement sounds for dogs and stuff too! I made all kinds of new sounds in SBWW2.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/