• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rail damage marker
07-01-2021, 08:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-01-2021, 08:41 PM by Dreamslayer_spb.)
Rail damage marker
Is there a way to find out that the the railroad was damaged?  (France '40)
I cleared the area around the damaged railroad bridge then I bring some engineer units there for bridge ops. Then I moved units from the rear to forward and they failed to cross the engineer bridge. So much effort only for the note "Rail line has been damaged". The line was damaged on other side of the canal in the hex there my units was some turns.
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2021, 08:17 AM,
RE: Rail damage marker
(07-01-2021, 08:40 PM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: Is there a way to find out that the the railroad was damaged?  (France '40)
I cleared the area around the damaged railroad bridge then I bring some engineer units there for bridge ops. Then I moved units from the rear to forward and they failed to cross the engineer bridge. So much effort only for the note "Rail line has been damaged". The line was damaged on other side of the canal in the hex there my units was some turns.

Damaged rail lines are marked on the map with a hazard symbol (An upside down triangle with an exclamation mark). A smaller version of the same symbol but with an added red circle, is used to show a damaged bridge.

If your engineers have build a bridge, units should be able to cross but not using rail movement. Damaged rail lines cannot be repaired during a game so a damaged rail bridge cannot be repaired for rail use.
07-02-2021, 08:28 PM,
[Image: 8efc1c7b3abc6e51bcc46338b66d559b.jpg]
Both bridges was damaged, so there are currently 2 engineer bridges. Both markers look similar and I have no a clue that there is the damaged rail line over the RR bridge.
07-02-2021, 09:13 PM,
An engineer bridge won't fix a rail bridge, i.e. it is for vehicular traffic only, not something as heavy as a train.

Damaged bridges can not be repaired in game, only replaced by an engineer bridge.

David
07-02-2021, 10:01 PM,
(07-02-2021, 08:28 PM)Dreamslayer_spb Wrote: [Image: 8efc1c7b3abc6e51bcc46338b66d559b.jpg]
Both bridges was damaged, so there are currently 2 engineer bridges. Both markers look similar and I have no a clue that there is the damaged rail line over the RR bridge.

If the rail bridge is damaged, the rail line going over it must also be damaged. So, a separate rail damage marker is not required. Both markers are the same as they both represent damaged bridges.
07-03-2021, 08:40 PM,
I think the problem is not the rail bridge hexside part but the actual rail hex, probably the one to the south west of the bridge? The damaged icon sign for the hex must be showing on the NE part of the hex so that its actually sitting on top of the damaged bridge (rail) hexside icon. 

So only one icon visible showing for the hexside/hex maybe? Just a guess?

Incidentally if the rail line hex is damaged then this will slow travel over the engineering bridge as I suspect the game engine will treat this as a "non transport" type hex. 

Instead of moving rail->eng bridge->rail and gaining the movement benefits, you are moving rail->eng bridge->clear and using the slower movement type for the hex terrain.
07-04-2021, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2021, 07:18 AM by Green.)
(07-03-2021, 08:40 PM)Plain Ian Wrote: I think the problem is not the rail bridge hexside part but the actual rail hex, probably the one to the south west of the bridge? The damaged icon sign for the hex must be showing on the NE part of the hex so that its actually sitting on top of the damaged bridge (rail) hexside icon. 

So only one icon visible showing for the hexside/hex maybe? Just a guess?

Incidentally if the rail line hex is damaged then this will slow travel over the engineering bridge as I suspect the game engine will treat this as a "non transport" type hex. 

Instead of moving rail->eng bridge->rail and gaining the movement benefits, you are moving rail->eng bridge->clear and using the slower movement type for the hex terrain.

The rail line is not broken except at the rail bridge itself. If it was, it would be shown as discontinuous and would also have a hazard symbol displayed, closer to the centre of the hex. Both bridge damage and rail damage icons would be visible, at least partially.

Normal rail breaks are at the centre of the hex rather than at a hexside and so no red circle designating a hexside is associated with them. Only damaged rail bridges cause a rail break at the hexside. This is what is shown in the image.
07-04-2021, 08:22 PM,
Thanks, it's clear now.
As noob I tried to cross the damaged RR bridge via the engineer bridge by the unit in a rail mode.
07-04-2021, 09:20 PM,
It's worth mentioning that rail lines don't need to be able to trace an undamaged path to the edge of the map/a supply source to function.

Your units can board trains as soon as they cross the damaged bridge by foot/other non-rail movement, provided rail capacity is available.
07-06-2021, 03:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2021, 03:27 AM by HMCS Rosthern.)
Strela said, "An engineer bridge won't fix a rail bridge, i.e. it is for vehicular traffic only, not something as heavy as a train."

Why in many games are rail bridges considered light bridges?
Is this a work-around to prevent the bridges from being used by heavy vehicles?
If so, why can't rail bridges be used by tanks? Perhaps because the tanks are two wide?

What about the historical cases, like the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen. Did tanks cross this bridge? Of course railway bridges come in all sorts of sizes and load capacity.