• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Savegames as new scenarios...
06-26-2021, 09:17 PM,
Savegames as new scenarios...
Just realised that if you change a savegame ".btl" file to a ".scn" file (by renaming the file extension from .btl to .scn) you can then open it in the Editor, tweak it, and save it as a brand-new scenario. Neat! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2021, 09:15 AM,
RE: Savegames as new scenarios...
(06-26-2021, 09:17 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Just realised that if you change a savegame ".btl" file to a ".scn" file (by renaming the file extension from .btl to .scn) you can then open it in the Editor, tweak it, and save it as a brand-new scenario. Neat! :-)

Meaning that in theory, it could be 'tweaked' in the scenario editor .... then re-saved as a btll file as well...  -no I have to go and test that in hotseat.  I wonder how the intercahnge between players goes.
Bydand
Send this user an email
06-27-2021, 10:50 PM,
Hi and thanks for this. Ha! I didn't think of that---but yeah, I guess you have a point! :-)

I've bought all these JTS games in order to explore what can be done in single-player mode (as well as to learn some history). And so my idea was to create an operational-size scenario, add some unit reinforcements/fixes/releases, plus some AI plans & scripts, and let it play out. Then, at key points, save the scenario with a unique file name, change the .btl file to a .scn file, load it into the editor, and use it as the basis of a single-player scenario.

Well, seemed like a nice idea, but in practice the AI can't handle even basic stuff like marching along a road (it veered off a main road and sent a whole corps into a massive bog, while a division decided to ignore the advance order altogether and retreat), so I'm now wondering if the Napoleonic series is not really suited to operational-level scenarios. Maybe better sticking to smaller, stand-alone battles, in which AI just sits on a hill and waits to get annihilated?

Having said that, I guess converting .btl files to .scn files will work in all JTS series, so I might have an easier time with the Squad Battles or Panzer Campaigns series.

Basically, my thinking behind converting .btl to .scn files was to generate scenario situations that I wouldn't necessarily have thought of from scratch.
06-27-2021, 11:44 PM,
If you downloaded the 2020 updated manuals you will find a section in the Editor Help file Tips on Scripts that provide some help on writing scripts.
06-28-2021, 12:07 AM,
Hi and many thanks for this---I checked the updated manuals & read the section on AI scripts.

Seems that in the Napoleonic series, the AI scripts will make the AI attack a hex (including hitting the flanks), defend a hex (including flanks), or sit in reserve. But I can't find an option to make the AI march by road from one location to another, even with the "always move in column" AI flag added to the scenario Header Dialog.

And so this makes me think that the game is not really meant to be played at an operational level, but more at a battle/engagement level, where both armies are already deployed and on the field. This is fair enough and understandable, given the "Napoleonic Battles" series title (as opposed to "Napoleonic Campaigns").

I think that the Panzer Campaigns series has option to make the AI move either "direct" (shortest or quickest) route or "active" (tactical) route.

I think I'm probably asking too much of the AI in this instance, and need to adjust my thinking accordingly.

Anyway, thanks again for the info! :-)