• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Opening Docs when in the game
06-23-2021, 12:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2021, 01:58 AM by neonlicht.)
Opening Docs when in the game
AFAIK, all JTS games allow the player to open various documents, when in the game, via the Help Menu (e.g. "Getting Started" and "User Help" etc.).

My question is this:

Is it possible to add documents (as text files or PDFs) that can be opened via the Help Menu? In other words, is there any way to open player-made custom docs (e.g. a Hotkeys list, or an Order of Battle, or a list of Commanders) while in-game, via the Help Menu? If so, how to do it?

I realise, of course, that you can just run the game and open a doc in Windows, but I was curious to know if custom docs could be opened via the Help Menu in-game.

Many thanks in advance for replies! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2021, 02:52 PM,
RE: Opening Docs when in the game
Well, I think the only way would be to replace the original files in the directory with yours. I did not test this but I think pressing the button in the game simply opens the PDF with the ingrained name.

One thing I noticed is that opening the documents from the game generally only works if you have a dedicated PDF reader like Acrobat installed. Without that opening PDFs will trigger a browser to show them fine but the JT buttons don't work.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
06-24-2021, 06:08 PM,
RE: Opening Docs when in the game
Hi and many thanks for this--appreciated. :-)

It's not a big deal (by any means) but it would be nice to have the option of a folder/directory within the main game installation into which the User could drop Text/PDF files that could be opened in-game via the Help Menu.