• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PzC OOB Question..
06-17-2021, 06:40 PM,
PzC OOB Question..
Very quick question!!

Does anybody know if you can copy formations from one OOB PzC title to another.

I would like to copy a soviet army formation from (Moscow 41) into (Smolensk 41).

And the only way I can do it, is if I manually insert them unit by unit (very tedious) from Moscow to Smolensk??

Thanks in advance for any help
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2021, 07:21 PM,
RE: PzC OOB Question..
Yes, you can from memory.

Copy the applicable Moscow ‘41 OOB across into Smolensk ‘41.
Open the M ‘41 OOB and use the copy function on the formation you want.
Close the Moscow OOB and then open the Smolensk OOB and paste the formation where you want it. Make certain the Smolensk OOB you are adding to is a copy of the original as you don’t want to break your original game.

Now, there are lots of caveats here. The component names will be different between the titles and quite possibly the component values unless you use the alt scenarios. You will also be missing artwork for any new components introduced. So expect a lot of additional work to get it all to work, but yes it’s possible.

One final comment, this approach will not work in Panzer Battles as there is a central component database and that system is a lot more rigid than Panzer Campaigns.

You have been warned!

David
06-17-2021, 07:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 09:18 PM by JAFFA.)
Great. Thanks David

I was using notepad to copy formation across from one to the other. (still a pain either way then)
I am in the process of (thinking about) creating a Smolensk 43 Campaign scenario.

.jpg   SMOLENSK 43.jpg (Size: 142.11 KB / Downloads: 31)

The existing map file S41) it pretty much there (see attachments)
Plus I can take the formations required from both sides from other titles. 
(obviously no where near as good as the JPS team) no time to trawl through archive reports and strength numbers.
But I do have the opsrey smolensk 43 book to start.

I can also get a lot of russian & german situation maps and other source from the web (not going into boring detail)

Thanks Again.

Craig
06-20-2021, 12:09 AM,
(06-17-2021, 07:46 PM)JAFFA Wrote: Great. Thanks David

I was using notepad to copy formation across from one to the other. (still a pain either way then)
I am in the process of (thinking about) creating a Smolensk 43 Campaign scenario.

(obviously no where near as good as the JPS team) no time to trawl through archive reports and strength numbers.

I can also get a lot of russian & german situation maps and other source from the web (not going into boring detail)

Thanks Again.

Craig

Hi Craig

Where do you get the Soviet situation maps? Do you have any by way of example?

Dan
06-20-2021, 05:28 AM,
(06-20-2021, 12:09 AM)DanTGN Wrote:

Thanks Again.

Craig

Hi Craig

Dan

Have a look at this site. I'm not sure how active it is. I'm sure you can work out the Russian unit designations.

http://armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps.htm

A map from my favourite campaign. 

[Image: 2021-06-19_20h20_14.png]

Ian
06-22-2021, 09:21 PM,
[attachment=5075 Wrote:
.jpg   SMOLENSK 43 ops.jpg (Size: 454.69 KB / Downloads: 5) Plain Ian pid='445215' dateline='1624130881']
(06-20-2021, 12:09 AM)DanTGN Wrote:

Thanks Again.

Craig

Hi Craig

Dan

Have a look at this site. I'm not sure how active it is. I'm sure you can work out the Russian unit designations.

http://armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps.htm

A map from my favourite campaign. 

[Image: 2021-06-19_20h20_14.png]

Ian
06-22-2021, 09:48 PM,
Hi Ian

Thanks for the web site, I have already been using that site. You might want to look at the library of congress web site for situation maps and other cool stuff. Also US & UK military unclass archives. Russian is good source too but requires a lot of translation   ie 
   https://www.soldat.ru/files/f/boevojsostavsa1943.pdf 

Attached our some of the maps for Smolensk 43 Scenario.

This should be fairly simple to put a (simple) campaign together. I can cross check with my german and russian OOB books. and also read a lot of the division AAR for both sides from the web to get clues about the situation on the ground. That Osprey smolensk is a great book to start. Also the AI should be fairly simple as I have the approx dates. AI instruction (Just go west).

After my initial research this battle looks to be very interesting, would have made a great title. 

Also looking into Budapest 45 for a spring awakening 45 campaign scenario. (The large map is included in the original title but was never used) shame Spring awakening was the last large scale panzer clash, it would have made another great title??

.jpg   SMOLENSK 43 ops.jpg (Size: 454.69 KB / Downloads: 16)
06-22-2021, 10:23 PM,
"After my initial research this battle looks to be very interesting, would have made a great title"

This is a title that is being worked on, although not on the front burner.
V. Istomin's "Smolensk Offensive Operation 1943" is a must for the Soviets.

Michael Avanzini
WDS
06-22-2021, 11:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 11:29 PM by JAFFA.)
(06-22-2021, 10:23 PM)rzhev42 Wrote: "After my initial research this battle looks to be very interesting, would have made a great title"

This is a title that is being worked on, although not on the front burner.
V. Istomin's "Smolensk Offensive Operation 1943" is a must for the Soviets.

Michael Avanzini
WDS

If this is on the radar, then I will leave alone. Better leave it to the experts.
(looking forward to the mega title) as mentioned in the WDS 2020 end of year update.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is also a good account from the russian archives, lots of useful info.

http://militera.lib.ru/h/istomin/03.html  (LOL just realised it's the same document as you mentioned)  Big Laugh

I think I will go onto project two. Creating OOB for all the German army groups during ww2. 
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g7001sm.gct...st=gallery

should keep me busy for a while.

Keep up the good work.

Craig
06-23-2021, 06:08 PM,
(06-22-2021, 09:48 PM)JAFFA Wrote: Hi Ian

Thanks for the web site, I have already been using that site. You might want to look at the library of congress web site for situation maps and other cool stuff. Also US & UK military unclass archives. Russian is good source too but requires a lot of translation   ie 
   https://www.soldat.ru/files/f/boevojsostavsa1943.pdf 

Attached our some of the maps for Smolensk 43 Scenario.

This should be fairly simple to put a (simple) campaign together. I can cross check with my german and russian OOB books. and also read a lot of the division AAR for both sides from the web to get clues about the situation on the ground. That Osprey smolensk is a great book to start. Also the AI should be fairly simple as I have the approx dates. AI instruction (Just go west).

After my initial research this battle looks to be very interesting, would have made a great title. 

Also looking into Budapest 45 for a spring awakening 45 campaign scenario. (The large map is included in the original title but was never used) shame Spring awakening was the last large scale panzer clash, it would have made another great title??

Thanks Craig and Ian for the links, some of them I already knew but they are all very interesting

By the way Craig, in your research on the German ooB, did you manage to delve into the ooB of the XXVII.Ak and the LVI.Pzk for the beginning of Suvorov? Do you have the units that made up the Korpstrüppen? I mean artillery, Pioneer, StuG.Abt ... etc

Dani