• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Favourite WW1 Title?
06-11-2021, 11:14 AM,
c_Question Mark  Favourite WW1 Title?
Out of the three WW1 titles France, East Prussia and Serbia, which one is your favourite?

I sometimes read that the scenario length and counter density is being criticized.

Do these titles contain a reasonable amount of shorter scenarios that can be played in a reasonable amount of time and still capture the historic period?

Thanks for your feedback. Helmet Smile
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2021, 12:43 AM,
RE: Favourite WW1 Title?
F 14 is the most fun for me, but EP 14 and S 14 are very close behind! S 14 offers some quick and playable campaigns. EP 14 has some really good short scenarios that are playable and fun. And who can resist trying the Schlieffen Plan? You can't go wrong here! jonny
06-12-2021, 06:14 AM,
I think there is a good mix of small/medium/large scenarios in all three titles, of course in comparison to PzC the counter density is generally greater but that was the historical reality of warfare in this period.  Wink
06-12-2021, 10:42 AM,
My favorite is F14--it has a lot of small and medium sized scenarios but it covers a ton of battles of all sizes. It could have been sold as two or three games and still had enough content not to feel like they are light on scenarios.

But I really like them all. EP has the most room to maneuver and regardless of which side I choose I almost always feel like disaster looms, even when I am winning. Serbia has really interesting armies and fascinating terrain.

But again, to your question, there are all sorts of sizes and lengths in each title. I have not seen the length of scenarios criticized but often the length of scenarios are short on intentionally to create more urgency and make players press hard.

I have a game in each one going right now.
06-12-2021, 10:07 PM,
I noticed naval units in the OOB sidebar in some of the F'14 screenshots. Is naval warfare modelled in the game? I could imagine in terms of ship artillery...

Is the user manual of the series available for download somewhere?
06-13-2021, 12:54 PM,
(06-12-2021, 10:07 PM)WargameGeneral Wrote: I noticed naval units in the OOB sidebar in some of the F'14 screenshots. Is naval warfare modelled in the game? I could imagine in terms of ship artillery...

Is the user manual of the series available for download somewhere?

Check the John Tiller Software site. There are docs related to each PzC game, at least. I am not sure about the user manual but it seems it may have been there at one time.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
06-13-2021, 07:15 PM,
My favourite is Serbia 14.
The map beautiful.
It has all size of scenarios.
There are also river gunboats on the danube!
06-13-2021, 07:23 PM,
(06-13-2021, 07:15 PM)Andrea G Wrote: My favourite is Serbia 14.
The map beautiful.
It has all size of scenarios.
There are also river gunboats on the danube!

The first shots of the 1914-18 war were fired by the Austrian river gunboat SMS Bodrog. She is still in service tugging gravel on the Danube in Serbia.   jonny Helmet Smile
06-14-2021, 09:43 AM,
[quote pid="445118" dateline="1623374078"]
Do these titles contain a reasonable amount of shorter scenarios that can be played in a reasonable amount of time and still capture the historic period?

Thanks for your feedback. Helmet Smile
[/quote]
Here are some really fun short scenarios from EP 14:

Stallupönen, East Prussia, 17th August 1914: 1914_0817_01s: The Prelude    4 turns

1914_0826_01s: The Rout of Samsonov's Right Wing; Bischofsburg, East Prussia, 26th August 1914:
7 turns
1914_0827_02s: The Destruction of Samsonov's Left Flank   6 turns

1914_0823_01s: The Creeping Tide; Lahna and Orlau, East Prussia, 23rd August 1914:  8 turns

All these are short, fun, action packed and anybody can win!   jonny Mex Big Grin
06-15-2021, 06:23 AM,
One thing that I really appreciate about the WWI Titles, that is really clear in EP14, as Jonny says, the victory conditions are set up so that each scenario is pretty competetive even if the historical battle was not (although most of them were).