• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

scenario
09-20-2021, 09:02 AM,
RE: scenario
Yes zap, to this day, this game amaze's me. With it's many inter-workings!! Smile
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2021, 09:17 AM,
(09-20-2021, 05:16 AM)zap Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 04:56 AM)Big Ivan Wrote: That's a good question zap.

I have never seen that "10,000" thing before. I do know that if the Germans would have occupied that hex the points wouldn't have changed, the Russians would still get them for Russian units exited. 

They only way I know of dropping the Russian total for that hex, would be to exit German troops off the same hex. Its kind of an exchange process until the total for the Russia side goes back to zero. If the Germans would exit more they would get nothing for it in theory.

Perhaps someone else has seen this issue.

Regards,
John Wink

Thanks John, my opponent said what you noted about the points not changing. I just wanted to clarify that there wasn't another way to set up that hex. Also, it counted all units even empty transports. This is a large scenario so many, many units made it through the hex most were empty trucks.  Thats how the point total reached such a high level. But it was strange(and interesting) to watch every time a truck exited its value points were added to the total. I could see the number change in the hex.

I always thought that was a flaw in the game. Afterall, the exit hexes meant to me that you'd gotten around and behind the enemy and your guys were now advancing unchecked towards the big prize, whatever that might be. So a couple of tanks or a platoon of infantry could be a pretty big deal...but trucks? Why should trucks count?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-20-2021, 10:02 AM,
Dave, in reality that is a good point!!

But Campaign Series is not true reality! 

We all know that three dimensional combat (live) is a whole lot different than the Campaign Series portrays. There is a whole bunch of stuff out there in real combat that this game doesn't take into account. Without getting to in depth, let's leave true combat alone for now. Simply because I have never been in true real life combat.

For me, exit hexes and their point tally is a simplification at best. 

Granted trucks don't mean much when exited in real life, but in the same breath, if your going to take away the point values for trucks and transports or minimize them, then tanks and infantry should count a whole lot more!

Maybe in Vietnam and the games to follow we can find a remedy for this issue.

Keep in mind that the point values for units, I believe, are hard coded in the game and they can't be easily changed. However with the new scripting like in Vietnam, anything is possible!

Regards,
John Wink
11-08-2021, 07:47 AM,
So I was looking for an EF scenario. Found this Langlois Defense   its identified as a stock scenario. I could not find it in my game files. There are no files available in the data base here. Could someone post them here thanks in advance.
11-08-2021, 10:03 AM,
(11-08-2021, 07:47 AM)zap Wrote: So I was looking for an EF scenario. Found this Langlois Defense   its identified as a stock scenario. I could not find it in my game files. There are no files available in the data base here. Could someone post them here thanks in advance.

I seriously doubt that was a stock scenario. The guys who played it haven't been active at the Blitz in 20 years and they recorded the only game. It would have been a Talonsoft scenario if it was. More likely it was custom and they didn't enter it right. Good luck finding it.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
11-08-2021, 10:58 AM,
Hi Phil,

I looked in my 1.04 version and the current 2.02. Also a couple stored zip files and I don't have it either.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.

Good luck in your search!!

Regards,
John Wink
02-17-2022, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2022, 10:21 PM by zap.)
Hi Dave, I just finished playing EF - H2H** Piepers first step to knights cross. There are two exact same entries of that scenario on page 16 of data entries. At least they appear to be duplicates. One does have a sm4 the other sm6. The only difference. Does that number indicate they may be different versions?

Another observation. There was a posting at Matrix by Berto in the CS Vietnam thread (or was it Crossroads) the timeline for CSEAST FRONT III. It looks like the work begins in 3 years time. So, that why its a good idea to keep adding scenarios/finding files of games missing them in the data base.
02-19-2022, 10:40 AM,
Hi Phil,

There are actually three if you do a search:
  1. **Peiper`s first step to knight`s cross
  2. H2H ** Peiper`s first step to knight`s cross
  3. H2H-Peiper`s first step to the knight`s cross - OFFICIALLY RATED AS TESTED FOR H2H.

Only the third went through testing and was given approval for H2H. I suspect the second was a failed test(?) He's allowed to add it to the database anyway if he wants, it just doesn't get the red "yes" under the H2H rating column. The first one has a few plays and a 9 rating, but the win/draw/losses favors the allies.

As for EFIII, I'm told all the CS games going forward will be brand new scenarios. I'm not sure the JTCS games will work. Bummer, but the way it is. Thus the need for two forums for the old and the new. We'll see, though. It won't surprise me if the old scenarios will still work in the new game. It's a ways off though.

Dave
Send this user an email
02-19-2022, 11:01 AM,
The old scenarios will not work in the new version. 

The Unit ID's will not match and the scenario themselves will flag errors when trying to load due to being outdated. 

That doesn't mean someone can't convert the old to the new system, but there will not be a direct tool to do so.
Send this user an email
02-20-2022, 12:08 AM,
I think that Zap meant that there is still life in JT/CS through the creation of new scenarios.
Scenarios can still be made for it to keep it "fresher" and relevant to play.

When EF III comes out in the next five years scenarios can then be made for that. Or, converted if someone wants to spend that kind of time.

Farmer

HSL