• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Japan 46 Campaign Supply Sources
01-21-2022, 03:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2022, 11:36 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: Japan 46 Campaign Supply Sources
Some engineer battalions appear twice and not all flags might be accurate. The same might apply to artillery or other assets, but I haven't checked those yet.

34th Combat Engineer Battalion is assigned to both X and XXIV Corps and has Mine/Bridge flags (which might be intended, but most US combat engineer units can only clear/lay mines)

202th Combat Engineer Battalion is assigned to both V and VIII Corps.

234th Combat Engineer Battalion assigned to XXIV Corps has a Mine/Bridge flag.

1341th Combat Engineer Battalion is assigned to both X and XXIV Corps

XXIV Corps has an enormous number of support assets compared to other corps, because it's based on the Okinawa assets. That might also explain why some units appear in other corps as well.

Army engineer assets are non-existent, which might be due to doctrine.

The III Marine Amphibious Corps engineer quality ratings might be incorrect. 1st Separate Engineer Battalion has a quality rating of C, compared to A for 2nd Separate Engineer Battalion in V Marine Amphibious Corps. The two Army battalions are also C quality as opposed to B quality in V Marine Amphibious Corps. This also means that Marines assaulting together with the Corps assets assault at C quality.
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2022, 03:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2022, 10:18 PM by Elxaime.)
RE: Japan 46 Campaign Supply Sources
Agree it is worth giving the command radius and command structure on both sides a pass.

For Japan, two issues.

The main issue is centralization of command in Tokyo. The main HQ there has a command radius that leaves the west and east board edges uncovered. Assuming the command attachment issues of vanilla were addressed in WDS 4.0 version (in the original, can't move Japanese divisions between armies) then you can solve this either by increasing the command radius of the main HQ (easiest solution) or adding sub-commands (e.g., Tokyo West, Tokyo East).

The second issue is partisans. They suffer from the same centralized, restricted command issue, which can be solved by breaking them up further into sub-commands and giving those HQs. You may also want to look at initial placements and releases for the partisans. Their centralized (with some exceptions) placement makes it difficult to get them into the countryside before those areas are overrun. I am also not sure what the partisan companies are intended to model. The units are very small (50 man) and lack any special abilities (e.g., deception, bridge destruction) although they do have the important ability to remain in supply and un-isolated. Aside from placement, their small size seems the main issue as it means they are easily assaulted and overrun.
Quote this message in a reply