• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

External riders (updated with findings)
06-01-2021, 12:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 01:33 AM by Xerxes77.)
External riders (updated with findings)
It seems that units being carried as external riders (e.g., riding a vehicle with a passenger capacity of 0) are extremely vulnerable to enemy fire.

Any unit firing on an enemy rider can inflict heavy losses, even with light arms. I've seen a squad get cut in half when fired upon by just a couple of rifles.

I understand why soldiers riding on a tank would be particularly vulnerable, but this extra penalty does not seem to be documented in the manual. Has anybody noticed this?
====================== EDIT ================================================
After a number of tests, here are my preliminary findings:

- External riders losses are not determined via the usual calculations, instead the game applies a flat rate on the nominal strength of the riding squad. On average, ONE FOURTH of the riders will be lost.
- Any individual firing upon a squad of external riders will cause it to take losses ranging from 0 to HALF the squad strength.
(e.g. A squad of 12 guys riding a tank may lose up to 6 men per firing)
- Notably, losses DO NOT DEPEND ON THE TYPE, NUMBER OR RANGE OF THE WEAPONS BEING FIRED. This means that a puny rifle at maximum range can kill up to 6 riders. Conversely, 48 dudes (max stack) firing adjacent to the target will not inflict more than 6 casualties.

Needless to say, all this makes using non-passenger vehicles as transportation a VERY risky proposition.
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2021, 12:34 AM,
RE: External riders
Cannot remember re being documented but, from memory, it is correct they are much more vulnerable. They also bail out.
06-01-2021, 10:56 AM,
I remember reading that somewhere, let me see if I can find it again...

Fran
06-01-2021, 10:59 AM,
Under "External Riders" in User Manual:

When a vehicle with external riders is fired upon, the riders are automatically unloaded, become Disrupted, and may take losses.

Doesn't say "Heavy Losses" but it does say losses and that they will automatically be disrupted.

Fran
06-02-2021, 01:25 AM,
(06-01-2021, 10:59 AM)fadelman Wrote: Under "External Riders" in User Manual:

When a vehicle with external riders is fired upon, the riders are automatically unloaded, become Disrupted, and may take losses.

Doesn't say "Heavy Losses" but it does say losses and that they will automatically be disrupted.

Fran

Thanks, gents. I have updated my original post with the results of my tests.
06-27-2021, 09:36 PM,
RE: External riders (updated with findings)
(06-01-2021, 12:18 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote: Needless to say, all this makes using non-passenger vehicles as transportation a VERY risky proposition.

Which is just as it should be,  Big Grin 

...though the anomaly you found that can produce the same maximum target casualties regardless of the number of firing units is disappointing.

...But I will try and remember that next time I see a tank with riders!!  LOL
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I