• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Running JT Games on a Virtual Machine via VirtualBox?
05-22-2021, 06:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2021, 06:22 AM by WargameGeneral.)
c_Question Mark  Running JT Games on a Virtual Machine via VirtualBox?
Has anyone tried to run John Tiller games on a virtual machine, let's say with a Windows 10 image, via VirtualBox?

I am usually using a Linux machine and thought that might be a convenient way to avoid a separate PC.

Thanks for your feedback.  Helmet Smile
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2021, 09:36 AM,
RE: Running JT Games on a Virtual Machine via VirtualBox?
Apart from maybe a glitch or two, I have had excellent results running every JT game I have tried in Linux Wine.  No need to VM it, I think.
05-23-2021, 06:41 AM,
Is Wine safe to use?
05-23-2021, 09:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 09:09 PM by Kool Kat.)
(05-23-2021, 06:41 AM)WargameGeneral Wrote: Is Wine safe to use?

Gent:  Smoke7

Only when used in moderation and never when driving or operating heavy machinery.    Whistle
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
05-23-2021, 10:07 PM,
(05-23-2021, 06:41 AM)WargameGeneral Wrote: Is Wine safe to use?

I never had any security issues with it.  Nor has it ever messed with my overall machine configurations.  If that's what you mean.

(Using VirtualBox, I have hosted Linux VMs on Windows 10.  I host Windows 10 VMs on Windows 10 using VMware -- this to run JT games occasionally.  I have not hosted Windows 10 on Linux, but I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work for running JT games.)
05-24-2021, 11:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2021, 11:56 PM by WargameGeneral.)
I installed a Windows 10 VM with 4 GB memory assigned and was able to install my JTS games via a shared folder on the host machine without problems.

As long as you are not starting to multitask on the guest machine, the games run fine, but I guess that will depend on the hardware of the host.

My laptop shipped with a Windows 10 license, which they now hard-code into the BIOS of the device. Although you can read the serial key out from command line in Linux, you are not able to use it to register your Windows 10 VM. It looks like Microsoft restricts OEM licenses to be used only with the originally purchased hardware, which is a bit annoying.

Not sure what the limitations are if the OS is not activated and if you can simply snapshot your VM after installation and later roll back if required.