• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

200th anniversary of the death of the emperor
05-06-2021, 07:05 AM,
200th anniversary of the death of the emperor
Marking the occasion by re-watching The Duellists (1977), Sir Ridley Scott's first movie. One of my favorite period films, in part (obviously) for the Napoleonic subject matter, but also because it was brilliantly cast against type. 

Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine are not actors immediately summoned to mind when the phrase "Napoleonic Wars" is uttered, but Keitel is perfect as the pugnacious homicidal Feraud.  Carradine likewise is very near to perfect as his foil (as it were), D'Hubert - a light cavalry officer who accepts the terms of his rank as an officer and gentleman without quite understanding why he has to.  

Napoleon himself never actually appears in the film, but I don't know of another which captures a certain feel for his era - thanks in part to Scott spending almost his entire meagre budget on magnificent uniforms and props.
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2021, 04:12 PM,
RE: 200th anniversary of the death of the emperor
(05-06-2021, 07:05 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: Marking the occasion by re-watching The Duellists (1977), Sir Ridley Scott's first movie. One of my favorite period films, in part (obviously) for the Napoleonic subject matter, but also because it was brilliantly cast against type. 

Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine are not actors immediately summoned to mind when the phrase "Napoleonic Wars" is uttered, but Keitel is perfect as the pugnacious homicidal Feraud.  Carradine likewise is very near to perfect as his foil (as it were), D'Hubert - a light cavalry officer who accepts the terms of his rank as an officer and gentleman without quite understanding why he has to.  

Napoleon himself never actually appears in the film, but I don't know of another which captures a certain feel for his era - thanks in part to Scott spending almost his entire meagre budget on magnificent uniforms and props.

How About Waterloo with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington?
Best movie ever....
08-26-2021, 01:53 AM,
(08-25-2021, 04:12 PM)bigus Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 07:05 AM)Sir John Cope Wrote: Marking the occasion by re-watching The Duellists (1977), Sir Ridley Scott's first movie. One of my favorite period films, in part (obviously) for the Napoleonic subject matter, but also because it was brilliantly cast against type. 

How About Waterloo with Rod Steiger as Napoleon and Christopher Plummer as Wellington?
Best movie ever....
Absolutely! I fell in love with that movie the first time I saw it on VHS probably 30 years ago. Finally got a copy of DVD just a year or so ago. The emotion in Steiger's farewell speech when he is banished to Elbe is just visceral... And the sweeping combat scenes of the cavalry charge against the British squares... never seen anything else like it.
08-27-2021, 03:57 AM,
Have not seen it (the Duelists) but I'm intrigued.  I happen to really like Keitel as well, so double reasons to find it.  Thanks for the tip.