• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

WITE2 - worth the cost?
04-30-2021, 01:22 PM,
Feedback Needed  WITE2 - worth the cost?
So for those who have taken the plunge is WITE2 worth the price tag?  In Cdn dollars it is $100.00, a lot of money thus to justify the cost the game will have to be ground breaking, is it?  I have read several reviews and so far I glean the following:

- AI is faster
- looks nicer
- Air is like WITW
- you can leave much more to the AI generals
- easier to navigate (which once you are use to WITE 1 is not a problem)

Honestly to me, reading these things, WITE2 seems more like an upgrade you would get with a patch so I am on the fence.  Oh, I also read terrain means less now (or is it more?).
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2021, 03:30 AM,
RE: WITE2 - worth the cost?
(04-30-2021, 01:22 PM)Weasel Wrote: So for those who have taken the plunge is WITE2 worth the price tag?  In Cdn dollars it is $100.00, a lot of money thus to justify the cost the game will have to be ground breaking, is it?  I have read several reviews and so far I glean the following:

- AI is faster
- looks nicer
- Air is like WITW
- you can leave much more to the AI generals
- easier to navigate (which once you are use to WITE 1 is not a problem)

Honestly to me, reading these things, WITE2 seems more like an upgrade you would get with a patch so I am on the fence.  Oh, I also read terrain means less now (or is it more?).

I have not played WITW but own WITE1. I prefer infantry tactics to air tactics and being that the air war over the East was not as crucial as in was in the west, I rather like the abstraction in the 1st game. That being said I also have not played or purchased WITE2. 

I really enjoy the 1st game and have not even finished a whole grand campaign yet, just hard for me to justify spending money on a game that I pretty much already have. If anything, the new game seems “more complicated”. 

If I do end up buying it, it will be down the line and at discount. It’s not enough “different” for me. YMMV though, I just have so much to discover in the first game yet!

Respectfully,
JJ
05-02-2021, 04:58 AM,
I picked it up and think it's worth the money.  I think the air war makes more sense to me as I never could get the hang of it in WitE1.  Better AI if that's your thing and logistics makes more sense to me as well.  if you are on the fence wait a year or so and it will be on sale I would suspect.
05-02-2021, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 07:59 AM by Weasel.)
Ah, I found this UT video, shows the air and such much better then the others I have watched. The air is pretty cool now that you can tell it to support certain formations via AI and the menus are much better, especially the production screen. With that said I have no problem with air in WITE but being able to have the AI actually support a specific attack with all assets would be great.

As for waiting a year, it will not drop in price, look how old WITW and WITE are and they are still full cost, $75+ Cdn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z84UP-9JuSo

(I watched this at 1.75x speed as HWG kind of drones on in his videos.)

Thanks for the replies.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
05-03-2021, 01:45 AM,
Yes their list prices are the same but both have been put on sale from time to time.
05-03-2021, 02:04 AM,
Matrix always has a holiday sale in December. Last sale, WitE1 and DLC's were 80% off. You won't see 80% for WitE2 this December, but will be something.
05-04-2021, 06:57 AM,
(05-03-2021, 02:04 AM)Kilo Wrote: Matrix always has a holiday sale in December. Last sale, WitE1 and DLC's were 80% off. You won't see 80% for WitE2 this December, but will be something.

I will put a reminder in my email calendar, thanks for the heads up.
05-24-2021, 01:21 AM,
I've just taken the plunge and got it. Mine was almost half price with my Matrix Rewards. Just awaiting the manual. Installed like a dream but it looks overwhelmingly difficult.
05-24-2021, 01:51 AM,
(05-24-2021, 01:21 AM)agmoss99 Wrote: I've just taken the plunge and got it. Mine was almost half price with my Matrix Rewards. Just awaiting the manual. Installed like a dream but it looks overwhelmingly difficult.
Do check out "Strategy Gaming Dojo" Youtube channel, for extensive in-depth playthrough and tutorials. I don't have WiTE2 yet but use his for learning WiTW as very much is similar. Also a great way of getting into "Grigsby thinking" strategy.
05-24-2021, 08:20 PM,
Thanks for the tip