• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

I just read of John Tillers passing on april 26th
04-29-2021, 06:47 AM,
I just read of John Tillers passing on april 26th
I just read of John Tillers passing on Facebook my prayers and sympathies to his family.

https://georgiacremation.com/obituary/jo...rt-tiller/
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2021, 06:55 AM,
RE: I just read of John Tillers passing on april 26th
Deepest condolences...he will be missed!
04-29-2021, 07:07 AM,
Condolences to all the Tiller family and friends.
04-29-2021, 07:10 AM,
Thanks for posting Dennis......I never met Mr Tiller however, his work has had a positive impact on me for so many years.

I had no clue that he was having health problems.

Just keeping his family and friends in my thoughts and know that he left an amazing legacy,
that will be enjoyed for years to come.
04-29-2021, 07:20 AM,
Many thanks Mr Tiller for all the wonderful gaming experiences you gave us.
04-29-2021, 07:52 AM,
I briefly met him once at the Tiller-Con in Kansas City. A very nice gentleman who took the time for a lot of questions from a wargaming enthusiast. His presence will be missed.
04-29-2021, 08:10 AM,
Sad news indeed. A man that has changed all our lives for the better. He will be missed but never forgotten.
04-29-2021, 08:31 AM,
Having met John at the three TillerCons, and having a few other exchanges over the past 20 years, I found John to be a kind person.

From a gaming perspective he was a thoughtful game developer. He always listed to what we wanted or suggested, but then massaged any changes to fit his design philosophy and the game engines to avoid creating unexpected consequences, rather than blindly accepting anything we proposed.

He was fascinated by the hobby, with what seemed to be a joy from the underlying history being represented as much as the gaming aspects of what was being created.

I think the US Civil War was his love, but I could be wrong there.

One of the things that stuck with me all these years is how, at Tillercon in Kansas City, he hosted all of us that were interested in a visit to the World War One museum.

Rest in peace, he will be missed.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-29-2021, 08:52 AM,
I was fortunate enough to do some work for him over the past decade. He never really interacted with me directly apart from being cc'd on a few emails, although I am pretty sure we were working directly when it came to adding the coding for the last round of engine changes with Musket and Pike.

I know it was a tough set of changes to get nailed in the programming, and it broadened the scope of that series exponentially. 

I fully knew he was exacting in what he wanted and expected with engine changes; it is tough to get those through - and I really appreciate what Rick wrote about how those go.  It was a really good experience.

But I mean - with Mr Tiller, for me it went back to buying Gettysburg, Waterloo, and Bulge at a Best Buy ... am pretty sure I saw Battleground Chickamauga in a Walmart -- it used to happen .. wargames in big box stores.

By far the biggest influence in my computer gaming, but the thing is -I got the sense he was a first and foremost, family centered. 

My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Bydand
Send this user an email
04-29-2021, 08:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 08:58 AM by Brancaleone.)
I met his first job, Battleground Ardennes, about 20 years ago and it has always accompanied me in life ever since

Rest in Peace.

Che la terra ti sia lieve, John.
"Alea iacta est" (Gaius Iulius Caesar)