• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Assigning unit graphics?
04-28-2021, 11:17 PM,
Assigning unit graphics?
In the Modern Campaigns series, how do you assign units with graphics that will show up in-game?

For example, when I design a scenario in the editor I get units that are missing their unit unit graphics---how do I fix that? How do I get the unit graphics back?

Another example: when I create a unit in the OOB editor, how do I assign a unit graphic? Do I use the "Component" drop-down menu? If so, why does this drop-down menu not include all the unit graphics in the relevant unit-graphic folder (directory)? Or maybe I've got this wrong?

In the Danube 85 game, the Austrian unit-graphics directory contains a graphic for Centurian-tank Turrets. But this graphic seems not to be available via the OOB editor ("Component" menu).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something---and so would be grateful for any info. Many thanks in advance! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2021, 05:12 AM,
RE: Assigning unit graphics?
You can create your components, but there is no direct tie to graphics. To assign graphics to a component/unit, you must create or copy a graphic and give it the exact name of the component, in the matching nationality set of folders.

In your Austrian unit situation, it sounds like there is a graphic but the component isn't available. So you can create it with the same name - or if it is in game, you may need to "save" the OOB/unit that has it, which should add that component to the units.dat (I think this is right, I don't have time to check and verify right now, though). Then it will show available for that nation to select from.

Hope that helps, sorry it is a bit vague but I have to get back to work, and I haven't played with this part in years.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-29-2021, 06:39 AM,
Hi Rick & thanks for this!

Hmm, OK---so units/components can be added to the Units.Dat file and they will then show up in the OOB editor's drop-down menus?

And in order to get the corresponding graphic to show up in-game, there must be a bmp file in the nation's "Units" directory, and this bmp graphic file must have the same name as the one used in the Units.Dat file?

Now this begs another question: what do the numbers in the Units.Dat file relate to? Is there any explanation of the Units.Dat file anywhere, which I could consult?

Again---many thanks! :-)
04-29-2021, 08:50 AM,
So the values are set in the OOB editor - Org/Unit Dialog specifically if you edit a unit, and when you save it there the values are saved back to the units.dat file. You would simply set the Component name, which although a drop down can be typed in, to the name you want to use. No need to edit it directly, just don't forget to Save in the dialog. Although I have poked around most all the files in the game engine, I haven't tried to decipher that one as there is no need.
[Image: exercise.png]
04-29-2021, 10:27 PM,
Hi Rick and many thanks indeed for this---excellent, with your help I've now discovered what I needed to know. :-)