• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern Campaigns Danube 85: Austrian Airforce?
04-28-2021, 11:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 02:07 AM by neonlicht.)
Modern Campaigns Danube 85: Austrian Airforce?
Messing about with the MC: Danube 85 editors. Seems there are no Austrian Air units available---including Austrian Army Air Division assets (e.g. choppers)---any reason for that?
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2021, 12:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 12:59 AM by KAreil.)
RE: Modern Campaigns Danube 85: Austrian Airforce?
You can imagine me rolling on the floor laughing.

As Austrian with special interest in this era I can tell you that we had and have no air force to speak of. The few and always outdated planes would not matter at all in a conflict.

Austrian strategy in '85 relied on deterrence (meaning attacking us would simply be not worth the effort). The main axis of advance had many obstacles and everything was geared towards delaying the WP forces a few days to give NATO time to close their open flank south of Bavaria. NATO contingency  plans were small nukes so there was no other option besides making an believable effort towards this.
From what I've read it worked at least a bit as some Hungarian documents state that they did not think they could break through Austria in time without support from Soviet units.
"Tapfer. Standhaft. Treu." - PzGrenB.13 Ried/Innkreis
04-29-2021, 02:42 AM,
RE: Modern Campaigns Danube 85: Austrian Airforce?
Many thanks for this---Ah, OK, understand! :-)