• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

modding map hexes in Modern Campaigns?
04-28-2021, 06:22 AM,
modding map hexes in Modern Campaigns?
Been experimenting with custom-scenario design in the JT Modern Campaigns series. On one of the maps that ship with the game I noticed some anomalies---for example, a small fragment of "primary road" in a Danube water hex (only visible in 3D mode). And that made me wonder: is it possible to edit individual hexes in order to correct any anomalies? Thanks in advance for replies.
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2021, 09:04 AM,
RE: modding map hexes in Modern Campaigns?
(04-28-2021, 06:22 AM)neonlicht Wrote: Been experimenting with custom-scenario design in the JT Modern Campaigns series. On one of the maps that ship with the game I noticed some anomalies---for example, a small fragment of "primary road" in a Danube water hex (only visible in 3D mode). And that made me wonder: is it possible to edit individual hexes in order to correct any anomalies? Thanks in advance for replies.

Gent:  Smoke7

Curious. Exactly how many MC games have you played against human opponents?  Idea2   

I see you have not joined the TOC ladder? Sorry, just a little confused here.  Confused
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
05-01-2021, 06:53 AM,
Hi---well, the exact number of MC games I've played against human opponents is 0.

Thing is, I bought the JTS games because they are advertised as having a suite of editors that allow the user to create custom scenarios for play against the AI.

Now, I know that the AI is no substitute for a human player, but I was thinking that maybe the process of learning how to design scenarios would be a fun, educational, diversion, as well as being informative as to how computer wargames are put together.

And so I was using the games as a way of exploring some history, while at the same time, learning basic stuff about orders of battle, creating/editing maps, and adding/editing media files etc.

I was also interested (from the amateur/hobby perspective) in how computer games can be used to tell a story, or as an educational tool.

But sometimes I get stuck on something I don't understand, and when I can't find answers in the game documentation, I post questions on this forum, in the hope of learning more. I've received a good deal of help so far, for which I'm very grateful. :-)

The question at the start of this thread was raised because, when looking at a map in 3D mode, I noticed a fragment of road in the middle of the Danube river, and I wondered if it was possible to edit the map somehow. And so I guess I just fired off a random question while it was on my mind!
05-02-2021, 08:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2021, 08:16 AM by Xerxes77.)
Hey neonlicht,

I can relate to your approach. These games actually make me want to learn more about the subject matter they cover. Smile 

I like to think that's a part of John Tiller's extended legacy.

As far as I could gather, no map editor is included with the operational games. So there's no user-friendly way to change the maps. The Squad Battles series did get one, and I think that was only a few years ago via an update.
05-02-2021, 08:33 AM,
(04-28-2021, 06:22 AM)neonlicht Wrote: Been experimenting with custom-scenario design in the JT Modern Campaigns series. On one of the maps that ship with the game I noticed some anomalies---for example, a small fragment of "primary road" in a Danube water hex (only visible in 3D mode). And that made me wonder: is it possible to edit individual hexes in order to correct any anomalies? Thanks in advance for replies.

Just caught the detail that you're talking about a 'tiny fragment' and not the entire graphic.

Do you have a screenshot of this?  It might be a couple of things.  What I would be looking for is if it is across a hexside or not.  There are several possibilities.

It might not involve a map editor, but at the same time it also sounds like potentially a misaligned graphic.
Bydand
Send this user an email
05-02-2021, 10:16 AM,
(05-01-2021, 06:53 AM)neonlicht Wrote: Hi---well, the exact number of MC games I've played against human opponents is 0.

Thing is, I bought the JTS games because they are advertised as having a suite of editors that allow the user to create custom scenarios for play against the AI.

Now, I know that the AI is no substitute for a human player, but I was thinking that maybe the process of learning how to design scenarios would be a fun, educational, diversion, as well as being informative as to how computer wargames are put together.

And so I was using the games as a way of exploring some history, while at the same time, learning basic stuff about orders of battle, creating/editing maps, and adding/editing media files etc.

I was also interested (from the amateur/hobby perspective) in how computer games can be used to tell a story, or as an educational tool.

But sometimes I get stuck on something I don't understand, and when I can't find answers in the game documentation, I post questions on this forum, in the hope of learning more. I've received a good deal of help so far, for which I'm very grateful. :-)

The question at the start of this thread was raised because, when looking at a map in 3D mode, I noticed a fragment of road in the middle of the Danube river, and I wondered if it was possible to edit the map somehow. And so I guess I just fired off a random question while it was on my mind!

I'm new to this game systems having spent mega years over at the Campaign Series which I do truly love! Your question is very valid for me!! Regardless of how many games of TOC you have played against real life opponents or otherwise, it doesn't matter! No question asked is a stupid question so neonlicht you keep asking your questions away. I believe the masses of TOC like it and so do I!! 

I'm a novice at this game but if you want to play a particular title reach out! I have a few of them and always willing to learn my friend!

Big Ivan (John)
05-02-2021, 12:43 PM,
(05-02-2021, 08:33 AM)_72z Wrote:

Just caught the detail that you're talking about a 'tiny fragment' and not the entire graphic.

Do you have a screenshot of this?  It might be a couple of things.  What I would be looking for is if it is across a hexside or not.  There are several possibilities.

It might not involve a map editor, but at the same time it also sounds like potentially a misaligned graphic.

It will require the map editor. It is a basically a primary road connecting two full water hexes. You can only see it in 3D which is why it has probably never been noticed before.

I will see if I can get it corrected for the next update. It is simply an aesthetic issue and has no effect on the game.
05-02-2021, 03:29 PM,
(05-02-2021, 12:43 PM)Green Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 08:33 AM)_72z Wrote:

It will require the map editor. It is a basically a primary road connecting two full water hexes. You can only see it in 3D which is why it has probably never been noticed before.

I will see if I can get it corrected for the next update. It is simply an aesthetic issue and has no effect on the game.

Interesting that this doesn't show up in 2D then.

Knowing a bit about how the map editor works  --- technically, that sounds like about a second and a half of work.
Bydand
Send this user an email
05-02-2021, 04:54 PM,
(05-02-2021, 03:29 PM)_72z Wrote: Interesting that this doesn't show up in 2D then.

Knowing a bit about how the map editor works  --- technically, that sounds like about a second and a half of work.

Yes, it is odd, but presumably is just a function of a difference between the way the graphics work in 2D and 3D.

This is what it looks like in the different modes.

[Image: 2d3d.jpg]

But I think your estimate of the work involved is way out. I would guess it may take almost 3 seconds to fix!
05-02-2021, 06:22 PM,
(05-02-2021, 04:54 PM)Green Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 03:29 PM)_72z Wrote: Interesting that this doesn't show up in 2D then.

Yes, it is odd, but presumably is just a function of a difference between the way the graphics work in 2D and 3D.

This is what it looks like in the different modes.

[Image: 2d3d.jpg]

But I think your estimate of the work involved is way out. I would guess it may take almost 3 seconds to fix!

:) I was being conservative ....   if you have that file open, if you right click on one of those hexes it would be interesting to see if the map has it coded as a road.  

Just out of curiosity, which scenario/title is that?
Bydand
Send this user an email