• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ZOCs over rivers?
04-24-2021, 07:32 PM,
ZOCs over rivers?
I am playing a scenario from Smolensk 41 and thought this was interesting - my units are isolated due to enemy ZOCs over a river? The two German units in the image are isolated, presumably from the Russian unit to the north east and the infantry unit across the river. I was a little surprised that a ZOC could extend across a river like that.

[Image: Capture.PNG]
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2021, 07:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 07:50 PM by ComradeP.)
RE: ZOCs over rivers?
Quote:Zone-of-Control

The six hexagons immediately surrounding an occupied hex make up that unit’s Zone of Control (ZOC). Zones of Control affect the movement and supply of the other side. When a unit enters an enemy Zone of Control it may be fired upon. The cost to move from a hex that is an enemy Zone of Control to another hex that is also an enemy Zone Of Control will be greater than normal and could be prohibited if the Optional Rule, Locking Zones-of-Control is in use. Refer to the Main Program Help File.

There are a few units which do not exert a Zone-of-Control:
• HQ units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
• Supply units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
• Broken units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
• Towed Anti-Tank units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
• Towed Heavy AA units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
• Units which have a Facing do not exert a Zone-of-Control in the hexes they are not facing.
• Partisan and Irregular units do not exert a Zone-of-Control.
Commando, Irregular and Partisan units have the ability to move from one enemy ZOC to another.

As the manual mentions, there are no exceptions to ZOCs for normal condition and Disrupted infantry and vehicle units.

ZOCs are projected across a river or other hexsides a unit can't move through (like a Cliff), and also into terrain a unit can't legally enter (say, a motorized infantry or tank unit adjacent to a Marsh hex).
04-24-2021, 07:51 PM,
The control implied by ZOC is a control by fire. Therefore, it is not relevant if the hex borders involved are wet or dry: you can shoot across a river.
At least, this is how I understand it; sorry, I cannot get into the manual right now.
04-24-2021, 09:15 PM,
I never caught that towed ATG's and AA units do not exert a ZOC! That explains a situation I just had in a PBEM game. The depth of the PzC series continues to impress me...
04-24-2021, 09:28 PM,
Thanks guys, I should have read the manual. Lately I have been dipping my toes into board game wargames and in those ZOC often doesn't even extend across a ridge, never mind an impassable river.
05-01-2021, 09:42 AM,
From the image in the first post only five of the six hexes appear to be in Russian ZOC. The village hex immediately to the south is outside the ZOC of the units depicted. Therefore there mus be another Russian occupied hex adjacent to the village, yet out of LOS for the Axis units to create isolation on this turn.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-01-2021, 11:18 AM,
(05-01-2021, 09:42 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: From the image in the first post only five of the six hexes appear to be in Russian ZOC. The village hex immediately to the south is outside the ZOC of the units depicted. Therefore there mus be another Russian occupied hex adjacent to the village, yet out of LOS for the Axis units to create isolation on this turn.

Dog Soldier

Exactly, there was a Russian unit two hexes NE of my AT unit. I just didn't think that the hex NW of my two unit stack was in Russian ZOC due to the river, but I see it was just my error.