• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Market Garden or Scheldt?
04-23-2021, 02:34 AM,
Market Garden or Scheldt?
Hello All,

Trying to determine which one is like to purchase and wanted to know the main differences between the two games. It seems Scheldt would be the better value since it contains Market Garden as well right? Or am I missing something? Does the Market Garden scenario play about the same in both versions?

Thanks for any help. I’m new to Tiller and the Blitz, trying to figure all this out!

Respectfully,
JJ
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2021, 02:46 AM,
RE: Market Garden or Scheldt?
I have played several of the Market-Garden campaigns, and I am currently playing the Market-Garden campaign in Scheldt '44. I think Market Garden is the better choice than Scheldt, especially if you want more than just a Market-Garden campaign.

The Scheldt version of Market-Garden is not my favorite, although I know they released an upgrade addressing some of the issues in the Market-Garden campaign scenario.

You do have a more varied range of scenarios in Scheldt, so I guess it comes down to what you are looking for!

Cheers, Jon
04-23-2021, 10:58 AM,
(04-23-2021, 02:46 AM)larsonney Wrote: I have played several of the Market-Garden campaigns, and I am currently playing the Market-Garden campaign in Scheldt '44. I think Market Garden is the better choice than Scheldt, especially if you want more than just a Market-Garden campaign.

The Scheldt version of Market-Garden is not my favorite, although I know they released an upgrade addressing some of the issues in the Market-Garden campaign scenario.

You do have a more varied range of scenarios in Scheldt, so I guess it comes down to what you are looking for!

Cheers, Jon

Appreciate the insight Jon, suppose I will go after the Market Garden first, maybe pickup Scheldt down the line.

Thanks again,
Respectfully,
JJ
04-23-2021, 04:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2021, 04:22 PM by ComradeP.)
Unless you're looking for a game that depicts the smaller battles during operation Market Garden in separate scenarios, I think Scheldt '44 might offer you the best value. Scheldt '44 covers battles from September to November, including many different operations in the south-eastern part of the Netherlands.

The scenarios for battles on the flanks and before/after Market Garden are very limited in Market Garden '44 based on the scenario list. Scheldt '44 is also more likely to be updated, being a recent title.

Depending on what you're looking for, you could compare the scenario lists for both titles. I'd be happy to show some screenshots of Scheldt '44 for scenarios that you have questions about.
04-23-2021, 10:17 PM,
(04-23-2021, 04:21 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Unless you're looking for a game that depicts the smaller battles during operation Market Garden in separate scenarios, I think Scheldt '44 might offer you the best value. Scheldt '44 covers battles from September to November, including many different operations in the south-eastern part of the Netherlands.

The scenarios for battles on the flanks and before/after Market Garden are very limited in Market Garden '44 based on the scenario list. Scheldt '44 is also more likely to be updated, being a recent title.

Depending on what you're looking for, you could compare the scenario lists for both titles. I'd be happy to show some screenshots of Scheldt '44 for scenarios that you have questions about.

These are good points too. I did a comparison of scenarios and it looks like Market Garden has more. Am I not seeing this right? I do like that Scheldt is newer.

I am interested in scenarios that include Arnhem and Nijmegen sectors especially. Loved playing the old Close Combat games (A Bridge to Far).

Thanks for the feedback, just can’t make up my mind. Decent investment of time and money, just want the best experience and value you know?

Thanks,
Respectfully,
JJ
04-23-2021, 10:40 PM,
I don't have Scheldt, only MG. If Scheldt has MG scenario and it plays just like MG whether it is stand alone or part of the Scheldt Campaign, you can make fair comparisons. If different, you really can't do that. But, if you got the complete MG in Scheldt, that's a bargain.
04-23-2021, 10:48 PM,
(04-23-2021, 10:40 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I don't have Scheldt, only MG.  If Scheldt has MG scenario and it plays just like MG whether it is stand alone or part of the Scheldt Campaign, you can make fair comparisons.  If different, you really can't do that.  But, if you got the complete MG in Scheldt, that's a bargain.

Suppose that’s what I’m trying to find out. Do they play similar?
04-24-2021, 01:08 AM,
I have Scheldt 44 but not MG. The S44 scenario is 85 turns and, according to the notes, uses a more accurate OB and covers a larger area than its MG equivalent. How long is the main scenario in MG?
04-24-2021, 01:54 AM,
The main historical scenario is 92 turns. Several alternate versions are 72 turns. The expanded scenario is 102 turns.
04-24-2021, 02:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 02:33 AM by ComradeP.)
A lot of the scenarios in Market Garden '44 are variants of the full campaign, according to the scenario overview.

In Scheldt '44, the smaller scenarios focus on battles in Belgium or the south-western part of the Netherlands. There are two flavours of the Market Garden campaign (one with an expanded map area), but no smaller scenarios covering various sectors. For the Market Garden campaign there's basically only 1 scenario covering the entire campaign in Scheldt '44.

There is a Right Flank scenario starting September 30th that covers the front from Arnhem all the way to the Belgian border after the dust from Market Garden had settled.

There are 3 separate scenarios covering the fighting in the Overloon-Venraij area south/south-east of Nijmegen.