• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scheldt '44 1.01 Patch Released
04-10-2021, 07:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 08:10 AM by phoenix.)
RE: Scheldt '44 1.01 Patch Released
Thanks, Green. We're doing Meijel. 1027_01
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2021, 08:27 PM,
(04-10-2021, 07:56 AM)phoenix Wrote: Thanks, Green. We're doing Meijel. 1027_01

Well, I cannot see why it would be a problem for that scenario but I hesitate to say that there is no possibility. Mike Prucha may be able to provide a definitive answer but I cannot be 100% sure.
04-18-2021, 12:52 PM,
(04-06-2021, 02:30 PM)All_American Wrote: I can't seem to find the newly added "#0917_01c Market Garden" scenario. Is it on my end?

Sorry, this was just a typo.

The scenario referred to is "#0917_01b Market Garden". There is no "#0917_01c Market Garden" scenario.
04-24-2021, 09:56 PM,
I created a separate folder to see what the changes to Market Garden look like.

KG Schwarz might slow down 101st Airborne for a turn or two, that should also slow down the link-up. That looks like a good change.

According to the list of changes, B quality SS units went to C quality. That's the case, but some C quality units (the Panzer/artillery crews fighting as infantry) are now D and that's not mentioned in the changelist.

The reorganization of KG Spindler means you can combine the companies previously belonging to two SS battalions, as they're now 4 companies belonging to the same higher HQ. Is that intended?
04-26-2021, 01:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 01:26 AM by Mike Prucha.)
(04-24-2021, 09:56 PM)ComradeP Wrote: I created a separate folder to see what the changes to Market Garden look like.

KG Schwarz might slow down 101st Airborne for a turn or two, that should also slow down the link-up. That looks like a good change.

According to the list of changes, B quality SS units went to C quality. That's the case, but some C quality units (the Panzer/artillery crews fighting as infantry) are now D and that's not mentioned in the changelist.

The reorganization of KG Spindler means you can combine the companies previously belonging to two SS battalions, as they're now 4 companies belonging to the same higher HQ. Is that intended?

Hey ComradeP,

Yes, the Panzer Crews & Artillery are indeed bumped down to D - probably should stated that all units in Hohenstaufen were bumped down or some such.

The changes to KG Spindler are intentional. There is very little reliable information about this unit, and its composition changed quite a bit as the campaign progressed. It seems to initially have only commanded the remnants of the artillery regiment fighting as infantry (so a weak battalion). From September 17th forward, it expanded by taking command of the PzG "Alarm Companies" and eventually other units formed from the remnants of Hohenstauffen and other units. I don't see any good evidence that the PzG Alarm companies that fell under Spindler were organized under separate battalion or regimental commands. KG Spindler was also known as "Sperrverbande Spindler" - not certain if this was just in alternative name, or if it was formally renamed as it expanded from essentially a battalion-sized unit to a brigade. The decision to place the companies directly under KG command was made after reading and rereading all the sources available (unfortunately, mostly secondary sources which are not good at citing information (or cite each other)). It may not be correct, but I think it is the "safest" representation given what is actually known. Placing the "artillery" companies under a separate battalion labelled "SS-Pz.Art.Rgt. 9" is almost certainly incorrect, as SS-Pz.Art.Rgt. 9 is KG Spindler (at least at the start of the campaign).The PzGr companies could more plausibly be clustered under separate battalions, but, as I said, there just isn't strong evidence supporting that, at least none that I have seen. 

In gameplay terms, this does mean that the PzGr companies could combined, which could result in a powerful unit, but the drawback would be that it wouldn't be covering much ground and if it disrupts, that's all of Hohenstauffen's PzGr companies disrupted.

If anyone has access to any primary source documents (other than the FMS report) or Kriegsgliederung for Hohenstaufen from this period, I would love to see them and of course would make any changes based on new information.

-Mike P