• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Defensive Fire unit quantity
03-29-2021, 03:41 PM,
Defensive Fire unit quantity
Hello, All.

This query may have come up before.
Unlimited defensive fire - is there any limit for how often a unit may
do defensive firing in the same game segment ?

I was tinkering solo , and saw an SS Wespe unit fire 9x responding to 
the British shooting during a busy firing segment.

This was the most that I've seen a unit do this kind of activity.
Typically - units would fire 2 to 5 times in DF mode.

Normandy - Scn. - #0607_ 02  12 S.S. Riposte 

Does a unit's Morale and/or its Disruption status affect how often it might DF ?
Supply Status ? Or just the random possibilities at play ?

Just curious - Panzer Battles is a very nuanced game system.
Great Game !

Thank You, Sir     Helmet Smile
5 Leichte Div
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2021, 07:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 09:09 PM by Strela.)
RE: Defensive Fire unit quantity
Hi there,

Firstly, none of the factors you mention will impact the frequency of fire, but rather the strength of the fire.

Secondly, yes, the return fire is random and unlimited. The Wespe you mention though, is an interesting case. This is because it is artillery and with every unit available to spot for it, it in theory could fire at every Allied unit that moves or fires in sight of an applicable spotter. This will increase its number of fires exponentially.

One thing that we are currently experimenting with is dedicated spotters that will lessen this ability for artillery to fire all over the battlefield, something that is more akin to WW2, rather than modern warfare.

Cheers,

David
03-29-2021, 11:12 PM,
If the spotters get eliminated, can the unit still get arty or is it rendered useless? I see that as the problem with spotters. IIRC, arty was unit sensitive. Fired for the unit they were assigned and nothing else.
03-30-2021, 08:08 AM,
Hello, Again All !

I've seen the replies by Strela ( " PB's Dad " ) and Outlaw Josey Wales here.

I do concur.

I've been reading the PB Archive Forum and the WDS blogs.  It does seem to me also
that "spotters" could be a factor for the heavier artillery.  Of interest would be the 
replacement of the spotter casualties - if at all.  Well, HQ's do come back , so maybe 
the spotter loses may be of a similar solution.

That Wespe arty that I mentioned of in my game-post did have a ton of units registered
for support fires. That Wespe unit was indeed very well compliant with most of them !

The next PB - Moscow - ought to be well received and I'll bet it'll be a good detail
for the PB system.  I like the ongoing reviews in the WDS blog so far.

Ironically so - a good friend of mine who passed away last year ( XLVIII Pz. Korp - Gary
Collins ) had remarked during a KURSK contest that we were playing - that he'd like to
see a PB for Operation Typhoon.  Almost prophetic , no ? !  I'm so sorry that he'll miss
the Moscow debut - his wish was granted !

Also - another query - would any new updates factor in a "Fatigue 3" patch for the KURSK
and NORMANDY games in terms of victory stats ?  Those two should be at the "3" as well
because the units - especially the better Morale ones are too super-human. Nobody is that good !

Thx , Take Care

Tom -   5 Leichte Div
04-01-2021, 07:57 AM,
(03-30-2021, 08:08 AM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Also - another query - would any new updates factor in a "Fatigue 3" patch for the KURSK
and NORMANDY games in terms of victory stats ?  Those two should be at the "3" as well
because the units - especially the better Morale ones are too super-human. Nobody is that good !

Thx , Take Care

Tom -   5 Leichte Div

Can I just ask what 'Fatigue 3' refers to? It is not something I have come across.
04-01-2021, 04:12 PM,
(04-01-2021, 07:57 AM)Green Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 08:08 AM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Also - another query - would any new updates factor in a "Fatigue 3" patch for the KURSK

Thx , Take Care

Tom -   5 Leichte Div

Can I just ask what 'Fatigue 3' refers to? It is not something I have come across.

Hi, Green.

This Fatigue Factor is a setting found in the Parameter Data. Within the game , after selecting a scenario and being ready to play - in the Top Menu - HELP - see Parameter Data - and you can find
a phrase " Fatigue Factor # " ( Kursk , Normandy are set at "2" , the Demo and NA'41 at "3" ).

You can also refer the game's pbparam.exe file - under Misc Values, 2nd line - Fatigue Factor.
A higher # rating in effect means that units will be more likely to gain a Disruption. As it is with
Kursk and Normandy , they were configured with "2" and thus many of the A & B Morale units will
hardly ever become Disrupted - and seem to recover immediately. 

So, this was recognized as an oversight and thus a change for the future games was noted in the 1.02 patch for Normandy and Kursk.   

11-12-2016   ( Panzer Battles - Archived Forums )  Patch 1.02 for Normandy released
Strela :
( this part of the notes :)

New parameter file entry - Fatigue factor. Used for scaling fatigue accumulation. Set at 2.0 for Normandy & Kursk. Will be 3.0 for future titles to match the fatigue calculations in Panzer Campaigns. 3.0 is the more appropriate value to use, but none of the Kursk & Normandy scenarios were tested with the higher value.

There is more about this in the Archives - if you can find it - I've seen it -
Do note that you can mod and play with an adjusted factor - but such games on the Blitz for scoring record are disallowed. You gotta play with the stock setup for the game. 

I hope this helps explain my reference.

Take Care,
Tom  -  5 Leichte Div
04-01-2021, 05:14 PM,
(04-01-2021, 04:12 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: I hope this helps explain my reference.

Take Care,
Tom  -  5 Leichte Div

Thanks for that. That all makes sense and I understand your meaning now. I thought you were saying that there was a factor that affected 'victory stats' but you are asking if the victory levels could be adjusted to be consistent with a Fatigue Factor of 3 for Normandy and Kursk. I should have just checked the manual and I would have seen what you were getting at. Apologies.
04-01-2021, 07:04 PM,
(04-01-2021, 05:14 PM)Green Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:12 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: I hope this helps explain my reference.

Take Care,
Tom  -  5 Leichte Div

Thanks for that. That all makes sense and I understand your meaning now. I thought you were saying that there was a factor that affected 'victory stats' but you are asking if the victory levels could be adjusted to be consistent with a Fatigue Factor of 3 for Normandy and Kursk. I should have just checked the manual and I would have seen what you were getting at. Apologies.

Ha !  You must also be a night-owl , at least tonight !
It's all good , Sir. 
Those are the implications , just as you've said.
No apology required.
At ease !
04-02-2021, 07:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 07:54 AM by Ricky B.)
(04-01-2021, 04:12 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Do note that you can mod and play with an adjusted factor - but such games on the Blitz for scoring record are disallowed. You gotta play with the stock setup for the game. 

I would like to clarify one thing. Players may, if BOTH agree, use a different/adjusted value. The Blitz does not allow someone to mod a value and play a ladder game with it, unless the other player is aware of the change and uses the same updated file, if there is a change outside of the scenario file. So feel free to adjust a value and play someone that agrees to the change - I would ask that a comment be added on the change, that way others can see what may have impacted the result. 

Thanks
Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-02-2021, 09:46 AM,
(04-02-2021, 07:54 AM)Ricky B Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:12 PM)5 Leichte Div Wrote: Do note that you can mod and play with an adjusted factor - but such games on the Blitz for scoring record are disallowed. You gotta play with the stock setup for the game. 

I would like to clarify one thing. Players may, if BOTH agree, use a different/adjusted value. The Blitz does not allow someone to mod a value and play a ladder game with it, unless the other player is aware of the change and uses the same updated file, if there is a change outside of the scenario file. So feel free to adjust a value and play someone that agrees to the change - I would ask that a comment be added on the change, that way others can see what may have impacted the result. 

Thanks
Rick

Yes, Sir !
This would clarify and round out this issue.
Thanks , Boss !

Over and Out

5 Leichte Div