• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How to use deception units?
03-06-2021, 09:25 AM,
RE: How to use deception units?
(03-06-2021, 09:02 AM)dto Wrote: * The rules state that deployment is within 3 x Deception Range, and redeployment is 2 x Deception Range. So the initial placement is 3 x range, and then relocating that unit is at 2 x range? You might want to say that explicitly to emphasize the importance of the initial deployment.

* Deception Range is traced from the Deception Unit's location, or from the nearest German unit to the hex? Presumably it's the Deception Unit's location.

* The presence of enemy units and ZOCs does not affect deployment and redeployment? You might want to make that clear: because the fact that German Deception Units actually start on the map, it's instinctive to assume that the Germans have to punch a hole in the line for the Deception Unit to pass through.

The first point is that one that Ian referred to. The range is 3x for a unit yet to be deployed or for a recalled unit to be deployed again and 2x for a unit already deployed to be redeployed. I agree this could be made clearer. 

The deception range used for deployment is from the deception unit to the deployment location but I think this is what the rules already say.

The presence of enemy units and ZOC's does not affect deployment, and this should be stated.

Thanks for the feedback. I suspect the main problem is not so much the rules but the counter-intuitive way the process actually works. It takes some getting used to.
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2021, 12:18 PM,
(03-06-2021, 07:17 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 04:37 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: Tactically, deploy near bridges and road junctions. Never hurts to have two guys in a key area in case one is discovered early.  I like to get a guy down near Schoberg bridge behind the 106th .

Interesting because I did the same in my last game. Deploy a unit near Schonberg. However looking at the situation I'm not really sure if the Yanks can actually get an Engineer to this bridge to destroy it? Only 3 Engineers in the area and I doubt if they can release and move to the bridge in time if that is the priority.

[Image: 2021-03-05_20h54_26.png]

Its not so much about bridge demo at Schonberg as dis-kobobulating the retreating Cav and Corps artillery IMHO. 
03-07-2021, 07:17 AM,
(03-06-2021, 12:18 PM)Kuriltai Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:17 AM)Plain Ian Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 04:37 AM)Kuriltai Wrote: Tactically, deploy near bridges and road junctions. Never hurts to have two guys in a key area in case one is discovered early.  I like to get a guy down near Schoberg bridge behind the 106th .

Interesting because I did the same in my last game. Deploy a unit near Schonberg. However looking at the situation I'm not really sure if the Yanks can actually get an Engineer to this bridge to destroy it? Only 3 Engineers in the area and I doubt if they can release and move to the bridge in time if that is the priority.

[Image: 2021-03-05_20h54_26.png]

Its not so much about bridge demo at Schonberg as dis-kobobulating the retreating Cav and Corps artillery IMHO. 

Indeed. Great word that. I forgot about this tactic but obviously my opponent thinks like you. Here is my current turn against Mike (DTO) where I am the Allied player and you can see that my C/18th Cav Disrupted when trying to flee from Auw. 

[Image: 2021-03-06_20h50_30.png]

Interestingly the 81st Combat Engineers released this turn but I decided to move them west rather than north. Schonberg has an OBSTACLE so its not the best escape route even though it has a Medium bridge and can cope with Motorised units.