• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gary Grigsby's new game
03-06-2021, 06:41 AM,
Gary Grigsby's new game
Has anyone seen the the previews coming out for his new game, War in the East2 ? Has anyone ever played the original War in the East and anyone's thoughts on these games.

Gil (Oberst)
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2021, 01:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 01:15 PM by Big Ivan.)
RE: Gary Grigsby's new game
Hi Gil,

I have the original with a couple of updates and yes I have seen the new advertisement for the upcoming game.

To be honest I haven't played it much. I picked it up a few years ago with a coupon because long ago with a couple of buddies of mine in Cleveland we played GDW's Fire in the East that needed two ping-pong tables to setup the map. That game was division level like War in the East is. Takes a long time to play with a couple of thousand counters. Guess I got the itch again in later life that's why I picked up Grigsby's child. 

War in the East is kind of the same; a lot going on with that game on the division/brigade operational level. I played the AG North scenario a little bit which was manageable compared to some of the other scenarios. 

Another game that comes to mind on the same scale as War in the East is The Operational Art of War IV. Some of those East Front scenarios in that game are just massive.

When one sees an operational game on the Eastern Front in WWII, board game or computer, it is mind boggling to see the vastness of the expanse and the shear number of divisions that occupied that theatre of the war. Either on a ping-pong table or a computer screen.

IMO its not for the feint of heart. One must be committed 100% into operational gaming and the operational mindset/style. I drifted away from that with Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Advance Squad Leader and finally the Campaign Series.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it. Just saying it's different. I will say that the War in the East game engine is pretty good once one gets to know it. I kind of did and it plays well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John
03-06-2021, 02:45 PM,
Opps, Sorry Gil. Forgive me.

Go over to YouTube and play some of the vids on it. 

Here is a link that maybe some help.

Gary Grigsby's War In The East - Let's Play / Tutorial - Road to Minsk - Episode 1 Gameplay - YouTube
03-06-2021, 09:38 PM,
Gil, I own just about everyone of GG's games, the new WF and the up coming EF2 are my only misses.. might be a few oddities he's made, I've slipped on..."might"... Kinda like games by Sid Meier :) Golf anyone?
Talk about total immersion!! They are not, as JohnP says, for the faint of heart.. you will be in depth, total DEPTH in each game.

Second front 1 and 2: I have won as both sides, Germans before Dec 41,Soviets before sept 43, only against the AI I might add.
The modded versions, took me a few months longer, Germans in late 42, Soviets in 44 tougher game on both sides, it's all about commitment and shifting units, that you know will become awesome powerful, if you let them rebuild. Air power was a factor, you gotta keep the pressure on and use them for interdiction on the big stacks if you wanna break thru.. look for the Guards and SS units and nuke them every turn... bombing cities as the Germans does nothing IMO, knocking the oil out, as the Soviets, means everything.

West front series was awesome, just haven't gotten the newest and greatest yet.. at 80$, just need a steam sale at 50% or better off before I dive.

GG games are VERY detailed, you will either love it as a "data freakenstein" or find it too hard for you as the numbers overwhelm you.

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
03-07-2021, 02:37 AM,
I have to say, it is a different kind of wargamer that plays WitE.   I started multiple  Team games and the game always fell apart with people quitting or disappearing after a few turns or in some cases people Rage quitting.  An  angry player base, it seemed to me.   Seems more geared for Solo players that play against the AI.

As in Campaign Series and Panzer Campaigns  you can have some really great Battles with other Humans.     Helmet Smile