• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Higher Command Organisation (could more be done)
03-02-2021, 11:37 PM,
Higher Command Organisation (could more be done)
O.K I know this series has been around a long time. I also know there are so many tools to help the player within. Some you find easy others after many years of play. Yet here I am doing my Fall Gelb turn and still struggling with the Higher organisation. I know the size of the Map and the number of units make this a very hard scenario to keep things organised in but I was thinking that perhaps it would be good if there was a click or a hotkey when a HQ unit is selected that could take you straight to the units parent HQ. I have organisation highlighted nearly all the time and look at the command range shading as well. Yet still find it very difficult to keep organised with the fixed units units moving at different speeds needs of the front ect. It may be too late by far for such a thing but I'm convinced it would help immensely in many of the titles and organisation is very key to good play in these games.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2021, 10:06 AM,
RE: Higher Command Organisation (could more be done)
So this has been around for years, although maybe not since the beginning? From the manual, under hot keys:

O - highlights the Organization for the selected unit. If an organization is
currently selected and you hold down the Alt key when invoking this function,
then the next higher organization is selected.

Although I guess it isn't quite what you want with the HQ being highlighted, but then there is a Highlight HQs selection that could help, between the two narrow it down.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-03-2021, 12:12 PM,
In addition to the technique Ricky B has mentioned I zoom out to a high level, #1 or #2 on the keyboard depending on screen size and resolution, set the letter "K" for Command range then click on a unit to highlight it.  Right click that same unit to see where it sits in the TOE.  Then use the letter "O" hotkey followed by multiple Alt "O" keystrokes to climb the ladder to the level of organization I want to see.  Since I right clicked the unit I was interested in I already know how many ALT "O" clicks I need.  Works fast.  If I think I am not seeing the division for example, I just right click the unit I originally selected and check which level in the organization is highlighted.

In some games you will notice an extra level that you need to pass through to get to the next level that shows a change in units highlighted.  An example is if there is a regiment, brigade or kampfgruppe on the back of the unit counter.  These levels do not change highlighting on the map. They are are just for historical reference. Just keep climbing the ladder with an extra ALT "O" click and you will get to division, corps, army etc.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-03-2021, 10:15 PM,
Thanks guys. If not exactly what I was looking for still two very useful tools to add to the tricks of the trade. To think this all came about following another posting here at the Blitz where the Yellow writing on a unit was pointed out as showing out of command. After that I began to pay a lot more attention to such things. Realising that all these years I had been pedantic about my Divisions being in command but had let the higher formations often become out of Command. This was about trying to find an easy remedy for that. Live and learn. Thanks again.