• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rules question re:elevations
02-13-2021, 12:59 PM,
Rules question re:elevations
From the user manual:

"When the target unit is higher in Elevation than the firing unit and the firing weapon is not Indirect Fire, it gets an Elevation protection value. This protection value is equal to the difference in elevation in contour levels between the firing and target unit times the Elevation Protection parameter data value."

From the main prog manual:

"Elevation Protection: the increase in protection per 10 meters given to units that are fired upon from lower elevations."

The different scales used in these two passages is confusing me and I wonder if I'm missing something really simple.

If I'm playing on a map with an elevation delta of 50m per contour level and an Elevation Protection value of 2 as set in the Parameter Data, and I'm sitting on a hex at 500m with an enemy just below me at 450m, do I get just +2 additional protection (because there ¡s just one contour level between the firing unit and me), or should I use the "per 10 meters" rule and get 50/10 *2= +10?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2021, 08:54 PM,
RE: Rules question re:elevations
Yeah that does seem confusing, I had never noticed the discrepancy previously. My reading of that would be that your latter calculation makes sense... though that's just my opinion not a categorical answer.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
02-14-2021, 01:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 04:44 AM by Xerxes77.)
RE: Rules question re:elevations
(02-13-2021, 08:54 PM)Embis Wrote: Yeah that does seem confusing, I had never noticed the discrepancy previously. My reading of that would be that your latter calculation makes sense... though that's just my opinion not a categorical answer.

Thank you, Embis. I was surprised to see my searches come up empty about this, and the few tactical articles I find don't say much about elevation. I'm guessing most players just went with the user manual version. The Main Program pdf does include some essential gameplay info, but it tends to get lost among UI references.

I ended up creating a number of test scenarios and based on the results it would appear that the user manual is correct-- what the program takes in consideration is the amount of elevation changes (i.e., "contour levels") included in a map, and the actual meters involved are irrelevant.