• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC East Prussia AI Orders: noob query
02-10-2021, 05:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 08:19 PM by neonlicht.)
FWWC East Prussia AI Orders: noob query
In FWWC East Prussia, how do you issue AI orders when creating single-player scenarios in the Scenario Editor? I've checked the manual but am still in the dark.

Basically, I want to create a single-player scenario in which the AI will move specific formations to specific locations at specific times. But no matter what I do in the Editor, the AI just does its own thing when I test the scenario in the main program.

And so I'm doing something wrong. But I can't find the info I need in the documentation that ships with the game.

I had assumed (wrongly?) that the system for AI orders in this game would be the same as in the Modern Campaigns series: i.e. you choose the "Selected Unit" option from the "View/Highlight" menu; double-click on the formation you want to move; click on the destination hex; select "Add Active AI Order" from the "AI" menu; and add a turn number for the order. But using this method for the East Prussia game has no effect at all -- the AI just does its own thing.

And if I add no AI orders in the Editor and test the scenario in the main program, then the AI still does its own thing. And if I select the "View AI Orders" menu option, then I see all the crazy-direction movement arrows that the AI has unilaterally decided to issue to all the units.

I even tried removing all Objectives except one, just to see how it affected the apparently hard-coded AI behaviour: this had the effect of making the attacking-side's AI issue movement orders on the single objective to all its units; but the defending-side's AI decided to issue immediate retreat orders to some of its units. And "fixing" the defending units in place makes no difference -- the AI still issues them with rearward-move orders.

And so I'm struggling to make sense of this game's AI system. Is there a way to make single-player scenarios with the AI?

UPDATE: Seems I was wrong to think that you highlight the "Selected Unit" option from the "View/Highlight" menu. Instead, you need to highlight the Organization, then select the destination hex, and then issue the AI Order.
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2021, 04:14 AM,
RE: FWWC East Prussia AI Orders: noob query
I don't have experience with setting up AI orders for the FWWC games. But it appears you are doing it correctly, and as frequently happens the AI doesn't bother to listen. I have done orders in both PzC and PzB and get the same results, frequently. There may be some tips for making them more effective, but I don't know the details, it seems I may have heard lower level orders help?
[Image: exercise.png]
02-11-2021, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 08:17 PM by neonlicht.)
RE: FWWC East Prussia AI Orders: noob query
(02-11-2021, 04:14 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I don't have experience with setting up AI orders for the FWWC games. But it appears you are doing it correctly, and as frequently happens the AI doesn't bother to listen. I have done orders in both PzC and PzB and get the same results, frequently. There may be some tips for making them more effective, but I don't know the details, it seems I may have heard lower level orders help?

Hi and many thanks for this -- appreciate the reply.

Hmm, I keep buying these Tiller games specifically because the JTS website claims it's possible to create scenarios to play against the AI. But so far, every purchase has been a disappointment in that regard.