• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Contrast issues with new graphics
02-10-2021, 05:39 AM,
Contrast issues with new graphics
I love the new graphics in PzC. The soft colors are much easier on the eye.

But I have a problem using the Highlight Movement and Firing Range features (the Y and G buttons). The contrast is so poor, especially in clear terrain hexes, that it's very hard to determine which hexes are actually highlighted.

Could the contrast be revised, or perhaps the affected hexes marked in red or something?

Michael
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2021, 07:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 08:04 AM by Xerxes77.)
RE: Contrast issues with new graphics
(02-10-2021, 05:39 AM)dto Wrote: I love the new graphics in PzC. The soft colors are much easier on the eye.

But I have a problem using the Highlight Movement and Firing Range features (the Y and G buttons). The contrast is so poor, especially in clear terrain hexes, that it's very hard to determine which hexes are actually highlighted.

Could the contrast be revised, or perhaps the affected hexes marked in red or something?

Michael

I noticed that, fortunately it's easily moddable. I just increased the density of the shaded hexes in Mius. See the comparison below; I find the shading in the first screenshot really hard to see, at least on my monitor (and through my eyes):

[Image: Captura%20de%20pantalla%202021-02-09%20183608.png]

[Image: Captura%20de%20pantalla%202021-02-09%20183953.png]
02-10-2021, 07:56 AM,
The contrast in your mod looks much better!

Michael
02-10-2021, 09:22 AM,
Yes, I like it too.
02-10-2021, 10:25 AM,
(02-10-2021, 07:56 AM)dto Wrote: The contrast in your mod looks much better!

Michael

Here's a zip with the files I modified in case you want to give them a try. The names are 2DFeatures200.bmp and 2DFeatures100.bmp, they go into the Map folder.

I tested them with Mius but I understand they are interchangeable with other titles in the series (not 100% sure of this). If you do try them, please make a backup of the original files so that you can always swap them back should the need arise.

Attached Files
.zip   Denser_Shading.zip (Size: 295.52 KB / Downloads: 38)
02-10-2021, 10:32 AM,
Thanks for sharing!

Thumbs Up
02-11-2021, 12:02 AM,
I did a similar treatment using Mius as test bed, I changed the color of the shading to red, it works fine for me.
I tried to migrate it to other titles and works fine.
02-11-2021, 04:26 AM,
It's worth mentioning that terrain colour depends on elevation and weather conditions, so what works very well in one title might work poorly in another.

The need to find a contrast that works on as many elevation and weather combinations as possible means there's no one size fits all approach to shading and highlight overlay contrast.
02-11-2021, 06:03 AM,
(02-11-2021, 04:26 AM)ComradeP Wrote: It's worth mentioning that terrain colour depends on elevation and weather conditions, so what works very well in one title might work poorly in another.

The need to find a contrast that works on as many elevation and weather combinations as possible means there's no one size fits all approach to shading and highlight overlay contrast.

This is exactly the problem. There is no one solution that fits all.

It is also dependent on your screen resolution and display settings, including things like whether you use scaling.

One solution that works for everyone, in all situations is unrealistic.
02-11-2021, 12:53 PM,
(02-11-2021, 06:03 AM)Green Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 04:26 AM)ComradeP Wrote: It's worth mentioning that terrain colour depends on elevation and weather conditions, so what works very well in one title might work poorly in another.

This is exactly the problem. There is no one solution that fits all.

It is also dependent on your screen resolution and display settings, including things like whether you use scaling.

One solution that works for everyone, in all situations is unrealistic.

It's too bad someone can't program in some sort of slider for this aspect.