• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help - where do the shortcut icons live?
02-09-2021, 11:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 11:56 PM by phoenix.)
Help - where do the shortcut icons live?
When you install, or update, one of the PC games, you get a nice little shortcut with a unique picture. But where does that picture live, if you need to re-use it, to make the shortcut again (because you've deleted or lost the original...)? Can't find it anywhere in the folders. Anyone know? I mean the icon pic that goes with the shortcut the game leaves on your desktop. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2021, 12:12 AM,
RE: Help - where do the shortcut icons live?
Within the last month, I went through the labor intensive process of doing fresh installs of 65+ JTS games on to a brand new laptop.

The majority of the games automatically produced a Desktop shortcut.

For whatever reason, a handful of JTS titles did not produce the shortcut.

So if you are missing one or want to create one, you need to go to the main folder that your game is in and open it up.

For example Normandy '44. Open the main Normandy '44 game folder and locate "Normandy44" application file

[Image: PzC_Shortcut_example.jpg]

and right click on it and select "Create Shortcut", which will create a your new shortcut within the main game folder.

Next, either copy/cut and paste the shortcut on to your computer's desktop or some other location where you wish to have the shortcut at, and that is it, you are good to go!   Helmet Wink
02-10-2021, 12:32 AM,
Thanks. Good to go, but without the unique picture that the update produces (sometimes). That's what I was asking about, really. If I do the usual windows shortcut procedure, as you've suggested, I end up with about 5 games all with the same little green star (or red star for the EF titles...etc etc). But when the recent upgrades left me a shortcut they left it with a unique little picture - one unique to each game. So where is that picture? (So that I can do the shortcut process you've suggested above, then select change icon and select the nice unique icon...)?
02-10-2021, 12:43 AM,
(02-10-2021, 12:32 AM)phoenix Wrote: Thanks. Good to go, but without the unique picture that the update produces (sometimes). That's what I was asking about, really. If I do the usual windows shortcut procedure, as you've suggested, I end up with about 5 games all with the same little green star (or red star for the EF titles...etc etc). But when the recent upgrades left me a shortcut they left it with a unique little picture - one unique to each game. So where is that picture? (So that I can do the shortcut process you've suggested above, then select change icon and select the nice unique icon...)?

Reapply the patch and the revised icons should appear (I believe)

David
02-10-2021, 12:46 AM,
You can try using drag and drop. Grab the file drag and drop it to your desktop file. Then go to your desktop and see if it worked with what you are looking for. It is just a copy and won't interfere with the original file it if is not what you want.
02-10-2021, 12:46 AM,
If you want the cover art to be shown for the shortcut then "Right Click" on the new shortcut you just created and select "Properties".

Next, select "Change Icon".

Next, select a icon that you wish to use or locate a image you wish to use from within the main game folder, like the cover art image.
02-10-2021, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 12:52 AM by All_American.)
I don't think the patch comes with revised icons as only the games I've bought post-Gold have such icons.

I've never considered it to be a problem though, until I saw it mentioned here!

(02-10-2021, 12:46 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: If you want the cover art to be shown for the shortcut then "Right Click" on the new shortcut you just created and select "Properties".

Next, select "Change Icon".

Next, select a icon that you wish to use or locate a image you wish to use from within the main game folder, like the cover art image.

I don't think the "cover" file, which is in .bmp format, can be used as an icon.
02-10-2021, 01:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 01:12 AM by phoenix.)
No. I can't find the icon (the cover art icon) to use in a homemade shortcut is what I mean. I guess because it's not there, instead it's somehow coded into the installer only. I think David has given the definitive answer. Thanks.
02-10-2021, 02:03 AM,
The cover image can be used for a icon image, as I just successfully did it.

When you right click on the previous short cut you created, select "properties".

Next, select "change icon"

Next, select "Browse"

Next, a new box window will appear.  Towards the middle-bottom of the page there is a open box labeled "File Name".

and

to the right of that you should see "Icon files".

Next, click on "Icon files" and change it to "All Files"

Locate the "Cover.bmp" file and select it and select "Open".

Next a box window will appear with the image being shown.

Select it and now you have a "homemade" Quick Start using the cover image as the icon image.   Mex Big Grin
02-10-2021, 04:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 05:03 AM by Green.)
(02-10-2021, 01:11 AM)phoenix Wrote: No. I can't find the icon (the cover art icon) to use in a homemade shortcut is what I mean. I guess because it's not there, instead it's somehow coded into the installer only. I think David has given the definitive answer. Thanks.

The Update exe's themselves use icon. If you browse for the icon, as described above by Compass Ross, go to the folder which you have downloaded your updates (or where you store them, if you move them after downloading). Select the relevant update file and that should give you the icon. Works for me.

(Any Gold Update will have the icon. It does not need to be the latest update.)