• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poor Old Spike's pdfs?
01-29-2021, 07:27 AM,
Poor Old Spike's pdfs?
Hello: 

Curious if anyone knows where to download these?

Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2021, 08:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2021, 09:25 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: Poor Old Spike's pdfs?
(01-29-2021, 07:27 AM)GerryM Wrote: Hello: 

Curious if anyone knows where to download these?

Thanks.

Hi mate, I've just seen your post, sorry can't help, a bloke called CMFDR created the pdfs 13 years ago, not me, and I've never even seen them..:)
A few years later I tried clicking a few of the pdf links in his post at the Battlefront forum out of curiosity but the links were broke.
Here, try clicking yourself and see if you have better luck, or try contacting him if he's still at Battlefront.
(I walked out of their forum years ago because i was fed up of getting trolled by some cheeky kids..:)

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/...le-format/

I posted a helluva lot of Combat Mission screenshots and tutorials at the Few Good Men club which are just as good as pdf's if you're interested.

Below: for the record here's CMFDR's thread header at Battlefront-

[Image: POS-pdfs.jpg]
06-20-2021, 09:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2021, 09:34 PM by PoorOldSpike.)
PS- it's been years since I played CM, so are we talking about the old CMBB (Barbarossa to Berlin) or the later version with the new engine ( I think it was called CMx2?)

There are a bunch of my CMx2 threads still up at the Few Good Men like this one-

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforu...ills.8401/

So go have a look if you like, start at the last page where my threads begin years ago and work your way up through them..:)- 

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforu...itles.160/

PS again- I've hosted 7 CM tourneys here at Blitz over the years full of screenshots and stuff.
06-21-2021, 05:53 AM,
Hey POS still going strong?
Good to read a post of you here at the Blitz.
I'm still in, but it's verry difficult to find opponents here!
Greets and all the best!
Owl
06-21-2021, 07:17 PM,
OWL Wrote:Hey POS still going strong?
Good to read a post of you here at the Blitz.
I'm still in, but it's verry difficult to find opponents here!
Greets and all the best!
Owl

Hi mate, I drifted away from Combat Mission a while back into other games like Armed Assault III and put in 5000 hours on the multiplayer servers, and I'm a mod at Mission4Today, my threads have had 11 million views so far, I also posted truckloads of stuff in the Slitherine Order of Battle forum, and the DCS World forum
At the moment I'm heavily into Panzer Corps 2..:)

[Image: game-pc2-thanks.jpg]
06-21-2021, 11:00 PM,
That 1st PanzerCorps is nice, but 2nd forces you to use Steam.. Whatever happened to independent games from the internet? Much less ones forcing the owner to create an account, give away info etc.?
06-22-2021, 01:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 01:53 AM by Westland.)
Panzer Corps 1 was excellent for MP. My favorite map was always "1941". But it could only be played with reliable opponents due to the enormous amount of time.
The MP Map "Steam roller against steel" was very good for quick battles.
I couldn't make friends with Panzer Corps 2 at all. Apart from STEAM compulsion, the 3D graphics are terrifyingly bad.
In addition, these ridiculous "hearts" above the units that the "life energy" is supposed to display. Like in a role play game for children.The guns and engine sound also sound very cheap.And the horrific new combat system with this "encircling" variant.
This is somehow stolen from the old Battle Isle games from the 90s or Battle Worlds:Kronos by 2013.
06-22-2021, 03:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 03:22 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Westland Wrote:Panzer Corps 1 was excellent for MP. My favorite map was always "1941". But it could only be played with reliable opponents due to the enormous amount of time.
The MP Map "Steam roller against steel" was very good for quick battles.
I couldn't make friends with Panzer Corps 2 at all. Apart from STEAM compulsion, the 3D graphics are terrifyingly bad.
In addition, these ridiculous "hearts" above the units that the "life energy" is supposed to display. Like in a role play game for children.The guns and engine sound also sound very cheap.And the horrific new combat system with this "encircling" variant.
This is somehow stolen from the old Battle Isle games from the 90s or Battle Worlds:Kronos by 2013.

You can buy PC2 from the Matrix website like I did instead of Steam..:)

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/panzer-corps-2

I'd rate PC2 as one of the most enjoyable PC games I've had in 38 years of computer gaming, I especially like the random mission generator which gives us a brandnew map and units every time and I can't stop playing it.
PC2's not perfect (no game is) I was simply a playtester and had no say in its development, I made a bunch of suggestions to the devs, some of which they acted on, and some which they rejected, grrr...
06-22-2021, 05:07 AM,
A matter of taste.I think the presentation of the game is too childish.Those wriggling horses, planes, and infantry units.
And as I said, the cheap fighting noises and red and green "hearts" above the units when hit.No more hexagon fields.
One of the best games in 38 years? You mean for the WW2 genre turn strategy games.
06-22-2021, 11:11 PM,
Understand also the matrix version is different. matrix and I went thru a fast split. Shaun xxx, one of the original folks from Close combat series was unceremoniously dumped by them several years ago and being my friend.. I ceased supporting any project by Matrix/slitherine etc.. Tho had been involved in some way with every CC project thru Close Combat Gateway to Caen, usually as a tester.

How my friend was treated after a dire health situation was pathetic putting it kindly.