• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mobile Bridges
01-29-2021, 01:29 AM,
Mobile Bridges
Once you have layed the bridge is there a way to pull it up and use again or do you just abandon it and blow in place.
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2021, 01:48 AM,
RE: Mobile Bridges
You can have the engineer with the bridge begin bridge operations again. The same variables for creating the bridge applies to eliminating it. Once that happens, your engineer can go on and build another somewhere else.
01-29-2021, 03:30 AM,
Blowing the bridges behind your advancing forces seems... aggressive, lol.
01-29-2021, 04:19 AM,
Does ANYONE read the Manual anymore?     Wink
01-29-2021, 05:40 AM,
(01-29-2021, 04:19 AM)Deturk Wrote: Does ANYONE read the Manual anymore?     Wink

I will say that as a new player, having essentially two manuals to reference (Main Help File, and User Manual) makes it a bit convoluted to find things. I don't recall what I was looking for the other day, but a Ctrl+F search in one document gave zero results, while the other document told me exactly what I wanted to know. And frequently the user manual will mention something, and then tell me to read about it in the help file - if they rely on each other so much and are both needed for complete information on how to play the game, why are they separate? 

The separate Getting Started document makes total sense since it introduces you to the game mechanics without burying you in the details, but as a user I can't find any value in having to look two places for complete information on how to play the game at a higher level.
01-29-2021, 05:43 AM,
Yes the process of "unlaying" a bridge is the exact reverse of laying it, the same completion variable "die rolls" apply, so you might find it takes longer or shorter amount of turns to pack it away.

If you are playing with VSP truck opt rule and the bridge was layed to replace perhaps a blown bridge carrying a road over a river/canal then you might need to consider the supply implications of removing it?
01-30-2021, 04:52 AM,
A couple of points about bridge building.

Bridges can be built on top of existing bridges. In this case I''m attempting to build a bridge where there is already a medium bridge because I need to get my armour over the river and tracked vehicles can only use heavy bridges. Once its no longer needed then I'll try to take it down and move on. 

[Image: 2021-01-29_18h06_02.png]

Engineers supporting bridges can switch river sides. Just go into T mode cross the river and deploy. This will be handy when you need to take down the bridge and rush off after your advancing troops.

[Image: 2021-01-29_18h15_06.png]

Of course if things go wrong with your splendid advance and the enemy returns then you are best to move back into the town. If there is no friendly units to help the engineers then in this situation abandoning the bridge is sensible. 

If you want to learn about bridges play Bulge.  Big Grin
01-30-2021, 04:47 PM,
(01-29-2021, 05:40 AM)Cashew Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 04:19 AM)Deturk Wrote: Does ANYONE read the Manual anymore?     Wink

I will say that as a new player, having essentially two manuals to reference (Main Help File, and User Manual) makes it a bit convoluted to find things. I don't recall what I was looking for the other day, but a Ctrl+F search in one document gave zero results, while the other document told me exactly what I wanted to know. And frequently the user manual will mention something, and then tell me to read about it in the help file - if they rely on each other so much and are both needed for complete information on how to play the game, why are they separate? 

The separate Getting Started document makes total sense since it introduces you to the game mechanics without burying you in the details, but as a user I can't find any value in having to look two places for complete information on how to play the game at a higher level.

I just want to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly, and have never understood why we needed two separate manuals when each applies to every game in the series anyway.
01-30-2021, 08:09 PM,
(01-30-2021, 04:47 PM)Liebchen Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 05:40 AM)Cashew Wrote: I will say that as a new player, having essentially two manuals to reference (Main Help File, and User Manual) makes it a bit convoluted to find things. I don't recall what I was looking for the other day, but a Ctrl+F search in one document gave zero results, while the other document told me exactly what I wanted to know. And frequently the user manual will mention something, and then tell me to read about it in the help file - if they rely on each other so much and are both needed for complete information on how to play the game, why are they separate? 

I just want to say that I agree with you wholeheartedly, and have never understood why we needed two separate manuals when each applies to every game in the series anyway.

I suspect the original intention was not to clutter the rules with a detailed catalogue of interface functions.

The problem is that over time some rules have tended to creep into the Program Help. The Optional Rules being the prime example. Of course, when the first game was released most of the Optional Rules we have today did not exist. But now these are an important part of the game and should be fully explained in the User Manual. And clearly these are not the only rules that this applies to. 

So it needs to be re-looked at and my understanding is that this is planned. Whether this will result in one combined manual or a reorganization of material between the two, I am not sure. But either way, all the rules would be in one document.
01-30-2021, 09:44 PM,
Good news that the manual will be looked at and redesigned.