• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scheldt '44 Antwerp AAR
01-24-2021, 01:24 PM,
Scheldt '44 Antwerp AAR
Hi, I am writing a small Scheldt '44 AAR and have finished part one. Would love to hear any feedback!

Attached Files
.pdf   Antwerp_AAR_Part1.pdf (Size: 863.08 KB / Downloads: 62)
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2021, 03:46 PM,
RE: Scheldt '44 Antwerp AAR
Nice summary of the situation, and interesting plan. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to more.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-24-2021, 09:17 PM,
Nicely done. Iam eager to see how your plan unfolds.
01-26-2021, 02:27 PM,
Hi, here is the report on the first day of battle! I should finish part 3 on Wednesday.

Attached Files
.pdf   Antwerp_AAR_Part2.pdf (Size: 667.24 KB / Downloads: 43)
01-29-2021, 12:56 AM,
Hi, here is the conclusion. Would love to hear how other people would approach this scenario. I had a lot of fun playing this.

Attached Files
.pdf   Antwerp_AAR_Part3.pdf (Size: 1.21 MB / Downloads: 37)
01-29-2021, 05:35 AM,
Thank you for your AAR, great read!

Just goes to show that the most obvious route to VP hex's is not always the best strategy to winning a game, especially if you can outflank a number of bunkers.
01-29-2021, 11:51 AM,
Thank you for the comment! Yes, sometimes it pays off to be indirect, especially to avoid a major city.
02-17-2021, 06:55 AM,
Thanks. Nice concise AAR. I wonder if you would ever have enough time (guaranteed enough to make it a sound tactic) to build that bridge? I've found building bridges in this title very slow. Sometimes you're lucky and it's faster, but not often. When i played this scenario (and posted about how difficult it was for the Allies) I never considered building a bridge in order to make a flanking attack with armour possible. If you've played against the AI, for example, or hotseat, have you ever managed to build a bridge there in the course of the game, Nikolai?
02-18-2021, 02:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2021, 02:19 AM by NikolaiB.)
Yeah, I have build bridges, but only (i think) in the getting started scenarios!

Actually, I think my statement that two engineering units have a 50% chance of building a bridge each turn is way off. First, because they are morale D, their probability of building a bridge each turn is lowered to 75% of what it is in parameter data. Second, the engineering squadron might be considered a company and not a battalion (I am not sure though). This further lowered their bridge probability to 1/3rd of the parameter data! The relevant parameter value in this scenario is 30%, so these modifiers really hurt.

For example, the probability changes from:
1- (1-0.3)^2 = 0.51

To:
1-(1-0.3*(1/3)*0.75)^2 = 0.14

Again though, I am not sure if Squadrons are equivalent to companies or to battalions.

Edit: The other alternative to take Merksem, if the wired bridge blows, is to ferry your infantry units.