• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Who knew?
01-08-2021, 09:18 AM,
Who knew?
July 7th 1937 is sometimes given as an alternative starting date for WWII. Who can tell me why, without turning to the internet?

First one to answer correctly gets a weekend in Paris for two.*

*Not really.
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2021, 09:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 09:26 AM by Compass Rose.)
RE: Who knew?
(01-08-2021, 09:18 AM)Scud Wrote: July 7th 1937 is sometimes given as an alternative starting date for WWII. Who can tell me why, without turning to the internet?

First one to answer correctly gets a weekend in Paris for two.*
Not really.

Just a guess without looking it up....

Is that the start of the Spanish Civil War?
01-08-2021, 10:51 AM,
Marco Polo Bridge incident. The Japanese started their conquest of China. Other important dates in 1937 - the Japanese attack on USS Panay (12 December) and the rape of Nanking (began on 13 December 1937 and last until January 1938 - estimates are that between 200,000 and 300,000 Chinese died)
01-08-2021, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 11:52 AM by Big Ivan.)
A trip in the foreseeable future to Paris is out of the question.  LMAO

I'm not leaving Richland county Ohio for a while.

Let's see, good question Dave and good responses thus far!

I'll say (and its a total shot in the dark) Japan's attack on Manchuria circa 1933 or was it 1931? It was totally against the wishes of the League of Nations. Whistle
01-08-2021, 01:24 PM,
Winner

...and the free trip to Paris, all expenses paid (by him) goes to John "Big Ivan" Pirman for, sorry what's that Bob? No? Not even close? Ohhh so sorry John, it's Wild Bill!! Wild Bill gets the all expenses paid (by him) trip to Paris!! Yes, the famous Marco Polo Bridge incident is the correct answer.

John and Chad, we don't want you going away empty handed. You both win our home game.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-08-2021, 02:05 PM,
Well I won something for once...YES!! ROTFLMAO

or was it twice or three times Confused

can't remember Helmet Rolleyes

Anyway congrats Wild Bill. When in Paris drink wine and eat cheese, also check out where Jim Morrison of the Doors rock group was buried. I think it was the Pere Lachaise Cemetery. Take pics bro!!! Smile
01-13-2021, 01:23 AM,
Napoleon's Tomb...definitely worth the dive deep below the Musee whatever it's called...
Not the Louvre...pronounced Loo...it's a military museum of some sort.

Napoleon has something like 7 layers of metal around his coffin.
Not sure why...but good to know...

He also has statues of his 12 favorite generals surrounding him, at attention, for "eternity".

One of my favorite spots in Paris.

And of course...you have to CLIMB the Eye-full Tower...no elevators...hike those stairs!
Trust me on this, it's worth the climb.
The stairs are fun, and you can see how it's put together on the way up.
You can only hike to the main observation platform but it's still a pretty good climb.

NAP NAP2 Party Respect
01-18-2021, 06:48 AM,
(01-13-2021, 01:23 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: And of course...you have to CLIMB the Eye-full Tower...no elevators...hike those stairs!
Trust me on this, it's worth the climb.
The stairs are fun, and you can see how it's put together on the way up.
You can only hike to the main observation platform but it's still a pretty good climb.

Fun facts:

Suzy Walsham, the wife of Wargame Design Studio's David Freer, is the women's division GOAT of professional tower running, and has won the La Verticale de la Tour Eiffel five consecutive times:

La Verticale de la Tour Eiffel 2020: a guide to the Elite women | Tower Running UK

Imagine running/climbing stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower in 9:34!   Yikes
01-18-2021, 06:52 AM,
(01-18-2021, 06:48 AM)berto Wrote: Imagine running/climbing stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower in 9:34!   Yikes

Aw that's nothing. I could imagine doing it in way less. Big Grin

db
Send this user an email
01-18-2021, 07:02 AM,
Imagination. the conquer of Everything..

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard