• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Re: Original Squad Battles Artwork posted in Mods forum
01-05-2021, 07:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 10:08 PM by Embis.)
Re: Original Squad Battles Artwork posted in Mods forum
Please see this thread:

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=74304

Hi Mike, 
I am not sure why you posted these files since they are all already included in all the new updates with the exception of Eagles Strike?
I should point out that If anybody installs all the graphics you have posted to that thread then it will have the following effect:

1. the vast majority of the games will, in some scenarios, show some blank units because so many new units have been added in the most recent updates.  
  2. All the advantages of improvements to the graphics of terrain and bunkers etc, which most people preferred will be lost

Nobody wants to do that!!

There is a compromise that WONT break the games and restores much of the familiar look of the series and keeps many of the more popular improvements to terrain and markers as well.  That is to restore just the Unit Portraits for the officers and infantry Squads. I have posted a guide to do this in a couple of threads. 

Please could you post a guide describing how to replace just those images and then post that beneath your posting of the old graphics. 

If you want me to write the guide I can.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2021, 02:26 AM,
RE: Re: Original Squad Battles Artwork posted in Mods forum
Mark, I am guessing that the reason Mike posted all of the original graphics is because people are still asking for them.

I personally had two people reach out to me in the last 1.5 weeks looking for some, too.

If they are all in the newest updates, the guys are not easily seeing it.
01-06-2021, 03:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 03:56 AM by Embis.)
Yeah, they are in the Notes folder, it explains in the update notes how to find them but maybe people don't read that stuff too closely.

My main concern is that if they revert to all the old graphics they wont be pleased with the results. and it doesnt have to be all or nothing, there is a middle ground.
Napoleon I
01-06-2021, 04:52 PM,
Wow...
Napoleon I
01-07-2021, 07:44 AM,
Alright, had a meltdown yesterday with all the negativity over this, am tired of it, will repost the files, and Embis' explanation of use. They will be use at your own discretion, they aren't being supported, but like Mark said, if you like the portraits, they should work fine for the infantry for the most part. Sorry for the attitude yesterday, my apologies, some days are a bitch.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
01-07-2021, 08:51 PM,
There was no negativity in my posting. I was providing some clarification, I didn't understand why you were posting all those files when they were already provided with the updates, and I thought that if anyone installed ALL the files they wouldn't be happy with the result. That's not negativity Mike. I was trying to be helpful to the community, as I always try to be.

Negativity is: not giving "a shit about these damn graphics"

You do right in apologising. So thank you for that.
Lets leave it there.
Napoleon I
01-08-2021, 07:57 AM,
(01-07-2021, 07:44 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Alright, had a meltdown yesterday with all the negativity over this, am tired of it, will repost the files, and Embis' explanation of use. They will be use at your own discretion, they aren't being supported, but like Mark said, if you like the portraits, they should work fine for the infantry for the most part. Sorry for the attitude yesterday, my apologies, some days are a bitch.

Hey, sorry about complaining about the lack portraits! I do like the new vehicles and bunker/trench graphics and plenty of people are happy with the new graphics too. Thank you for all the work that you put into the game and for being active on the forums. I know people complaining, especially online, is a real pain.
01-08-2021, 07:57 AM,
We all screw up sometimes, Mate!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

01-08-2021, 08:09 AM,
OK. the files are all up there again, zipped up this time, and with the explanation by Embis on the best use of them, so you most likely don't want to use ALL of them.

As an aside, I saw some mention that fols would be satisfied if at least the new top down graphics had single leaders, this is a ton of work, requiring all the oob's in every game to be gone through one-by-one and the single man selected. I have done this for my mod, not thinking about it until I started work on it. That being said, am going to also work at getting that put out as perhaps a happy medium. It may take awhile. I think I saw mention that RV is the most popular, so rather than start alphabetically will start with that one.

Stay tuned.....
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

01-08-2021, 08:21 AM,
(01-08-2021, 07:57 AM)NikolaiB Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 07:44 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Alright, had a meltdown yesterday with all the negativity over this, am tired of it, will repost the files, and Embis' explanation of use. They will be use at your own discretion, they aren't being supported, but like Mark said, if you like the portraits, they should work fine for the infantry for the most part. Sorry for the attitude yesterday, my apologies, some days are a bitch.

Hey, sorry about complaining about the lack portraits! I do like the new vehicles and bunker/trench graphics and plenty of people are happy with the new graphics too. Thank you for all the work that you put into the game and for being active on the forums. I know people complaining, especially online, is a real pain.

It really wasn't any one persons posts, so please don't take it personally, was a culmination of a period of time of constantly seeing complaints, took it personal since I am the graphic artist now. Had a bad day, came home and lashed out when I should have had a few beers and chilled out first!! Will do my best to not be an ass, and my apologies if I rubbed anyone's fur the wrong way. Back to work, and thank you all for your support of this series, it is my new favorite and am trying to advance it best I can. Please bear in mind though at the same time that JTS is very stretched thin, I am the only one working on this whole series, there is no programming support, so there will NOT be any engine changes, unless if by some miracle I can attract enough attention of John Tiller to return his focus to include this fine series through my advancements in the mod. Who knows, people are still buying the games, a bunch of folks over on a lot of the FB sites I posted at, bought the game AoTR, just to try out the mod. JT hasn't done anything with this series in a very long time, despite it actually being his initial favorite, IIRC ! But posting here will do no good about that, JTS is working at having a player supplied content area at the website, but again, Rich Hamilton the frontman, is also very busy with RL, so this will take some time!!

I am doing my best to get proper attention to this, so be patient and realize it may never happen, we can only try! I actually wasn't posting over here very much at all with my mod or other advancements since there was little going on in this series over here, but lately the traffic has stepped up. So lets see what happens!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue