• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

NEW UPDATES
02-09-2021, 12:04 AM,
RE: NEW UPDATES
Then again, there is the unit box along one side of the screen that only takes a glance to see the info.
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2021, 02:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2021, 02:10 AM by monkie.)
I have a feeling that the information being presented on the side of the screen was a design decision due to the low resolution graphics which didn't allow for anything else. Since the 3d mode we have shows additional information on the counter I would say the designer had a desire for this to be present if the game engine allowed it.

The ability to look at the map at a glance and determine unit status would be a very nice improvement, however even with the new higher resolution I don't think it's possible. But then again WDS has done some amazing work so far.
02-09-2021, 03:12 AM,
H
Hi all,

As mentioned its an interesting conversation. We debated whether we should request more info on the counter but decided with the 3D counter view AND the space bar view, coupled with the side bar view, we would be cluttering the 2D counters up when the details were readily available.

There was a preference to leave the 2D counter view as clean as possible as the details were readily available on screen.
I think there is merit on having indicators when there are impacts on the status of a unit such as high fatigue, low ammo etc, like we have in Panzer Battles for disruption and broken currently, but we aren't there yet.
I think its also a good point that there really is limited resolution on any counter. The current magnified counters are only 47 x 47 at their largest and that leaves precious little room to show anything.

David
02-09-2021, 03:30 AM,
(02-09-2021, 02:09 AM)monkie Wrote: The ability to look at the map at a glance and determine unit status would be a very nice improvement, however even with the new higher resolution I don't think it's possible. But then again WDS has done some amazing work so far.

Just for fun I did a quick mockup in Mius using the actual game graphics for infantry (had to squash the symbol a bit to make the numbers fit more comfortably). Also color-coded the background for the numbers to convey the general status of each stat:

[Image: Mockup.png]

I don't think this would work in anything other than the hires view, and it would clearly be a matter of preference, but I think lack of resolution is not a big issue. Smile  They seem to work well with the organization colors too.

I totally see the value of having a "clean" look, though!
02-09-2021, 06:05 AM,
I really like the new counters, and really like the clean look. If more information on the counter were optional, I would never use that option.
02-09-2021, 06:18 AM,
(02-09-2021, 06:05 AM)phoenix Wrote: I really like the new counters, and really like the clean look. If more information on the counter were optional, I would never use that option.

The new graphics are indeed clean and beautiful, and WDS are doing a bang up job. Helmet Smile 
That said, given the option of a counter overlay with extra info I would probably use it all the time. I love having those in the 3D counter view!
02-09-2021, 06:32 AM,
I like have info in a way i dont need click all the time over units... maybe if is not possible have it in the counter play with hotkeys, something like show elevations in PzB BUT to show number of soldiers, fatigue, quality... in the unit counter but not like in 3D mode where is in the counter permanent, with one key you activate the counter with info BUT only works in this moment, when you play the info dissapear.

Something i reallyh like is that picture from Budapest45 and the SS symbol in the counter, i think this is a very good add specially when you have in same army different "sub-armies", apart counter colour show a "formation" icon is a good add.
02-09-2021, 06:33 AM,
But wouldn't more information on the counter only help with the top one of the stack? I would like some color coded dot along the left side of a counter, that way it would be visible even when units are stacked. Like in PzBattles with disrupted units for example.
02-10-2021, 12:38 AM,
Any way you look at it, they should leave the Gold graphics as an option. The new graphic looks nice, but, too much like a board game. We are playing a computer game and think the Gold fits it better. If people want to play with it, it should be an option to click.
03-13-2021, 05:28 AM,
Intel report, no recent activity on the upgrade front, down from 2 or 3 per fortnight, certain individuals seem to be MIA.