• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC Movement Rates--help!
03-11-2021, 11:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2021, 11:16 PM by neonlicht.)
RE: FWWC Movement Rates--help!
Many thanks for this!

Attached is a screenshot of the East Front 1914 (early) PDT foot values...

.jpeg   EF 1914 early PDT.jpeg (Size: 57.22 KB / Downloads: 5)
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2021, 02:41 PM,
This really appears to be an issue for just you? Can you share your test files as I mentioned before? Otherwise we are all simply guessing why you see just over half the movement that we all are seeing.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-12-2021, 04:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2021, 04:28 PM by neonlicht.)
Hi Rick and thanks for this.

I've solved the mystery: turns out that selecting Phased Play (i.e. "Manual Defensive Fire") in the Optional Rules Dialog affects the movement rate of units.

I had gotten used to playing JTS games in Phased mode (coming to FWWC via the Napoleonic & Seven Years War games) and so had selected Manual Defensive Fire in the Optional Rules Dialog.

But when I unchecked the Manual Defensive Fire option my units suddenly got their movement rates extended.

.jpeg   Manual Defensive Rules Movement Rate.jpeg (Size: 242.59 KB / Downloads: 6)

.jpeg   Continuous Mode Movement Rate.jpeg (Size: 211.17 KB / Downloads: 6)

.jpeg   Rules--Manual Defensive Fire.jpeg (Size: 41.19 KB / Downloads: 5)

.jpeg   Rules--Continuous Mode.jpeg (Size: 38.28 KB / Downloads: 5)
03-12-2021, 08:48 PM,
(03-12-2021, 04:26 PM)neonlicht Wrote: Hi Rick and thanks for this.

I've solved the mystery: turns out that selecting Phased Play (i.e. "Manual Defensive Fire") in the Optional Rules Dialog affects the movement rate of units.

I had gotten used to playing JTS games in Phased mode (coming to FWWC via the Napoleonic & Seven Years War games) and so had selected Manual Defensive Fire in the Optional Rules Dialog.

But when I unchecked the Manual Defensive Fire option my units suddenly got their movement rates extended.

Another PzC mystery solved. Game Engine 1 v Bugs 0. 

In the screen shots above you can see that the game automatically reduces all units movement allowances down by 1/3 rd when you select MD so you only cover 2/3 rd of the distance but use the same movement costs for terrain. 

However does this not mean 'movement rates' are slower? Mmh.

[Image: 2021-03-12_10h31_59.png]
03-12-2021, 09:40 PM,
Hi & thanks for this!

Yep---just found the relevant info on p.99 of the "User" manual that ships with the FWWC East Prussia game.

Lesson for me: don't skip through the manuals and then jump into the Editor---read them carefully and make notes! :-)
03-13-2021, 01:49 AM,
Glad it is solved. And I guess it makes sense to alter the movement with the change to mechanics - since you can do things in each phase, versus non-phased where you have to choose how to use your movement. So yes, movement slower when there is no combat, but once the units are facing combat situations, they will have a bit more ability. A balancing act in the game engine for sure.
[Image: exercise.png]
03-13-2021, 03:19 AM,
Hi Rick---yep, it makes sense now, and I'm happy with it. Thanks to everyone who replied. :-)