• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Scheldt 44 - Irregular Units
03-16-2021, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:45 PM by Lethal.)
Scheldt 44 - Irregular Units
Having a look at Scheldt '44 and the allied irregular units.
Scenario:  0904_01 Antwerp

click here for the image

User.pdf, p.30

Irregular units never utilize Deception effects (to disrupt enemy movement or hinder bridge demolition).
end quote

The irregular units have DECEPTION in their alternate characteristics display.  If they do not disrupt enemy movt or hinder bridge demolition, what do they do?

I would suggest they have been placed in the scenario with a view to hindering bridge demo.  Perhaps the icon for partisans is incorrect [I] instead of [P].  

thx

Attached Files
.jpg   deception12.jpg (Size: 281.75 KB / Downloads: 4)
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2021, 01:57 PM,
RE: Scheldt 44 - Irregular Units
I believe that the rules mean that Irregular units do not inherently have deception effects. However, if they are designated as a Deception unit, they do.

The inclusion of these units in the scenario does not suggest that using them as Deception units is the only or best option as they can be used in a more conventional combat role.

Also, note that since this scenario uses Wired Bridges, the deception effect relating to bridge demolition is not applicable.
03-16-2021, 03:21 PM,
Thanks "Green" for your response.

It would appear that some units types can be trained for "DECEPTION", note the recon unit on page 32 of user.pdf.

I think it would be reasonably safe to suggest the Irregular units marked as DECEPTION in this scenario have this "training". So the "never" on page 30 is misleading in this instance. However, the statement is correct that default Irregular units do not have this capability.
03-16-2021, 03:42 PM,
(03-16-2021, 03:21 PM)Lethal Wrote: Thanks "Green" for your response.

It would appear that some units types can be trained for "DECEPTION", note the recon unit on page 32 of user.pdf.

I think it would be reasonably safe to suggest the Irregular units marked as DECEPTION in this scenario have this "training".  So the "never" on page 30 is misleading in this instance.  However, the statement is correct that default Irregular units do not have this capability.

Yes, I agree that the use of "never" is misleading and the wording should be improved.

The unit on page 32 of the manual is a German Einheit Stielau commando unit used during the Battle of the Bulge. English speakers dressed in US Army uniforms.
03-16-2021, 04:34 PM,
Probably Ty Hardin's finest role!
03-17-2021, 01:31 AM,
I thought his portrayal in Merrill's Marauders was his best.