• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Budapest 45 Russian OoB question
12-30-2020, 09:51 PM,
Help  Budapest 45 Russian OoB question
I am playing Prelude - The Drive to Budapest, as the russian player and found something funny.

The 37th Rifle Corps, which comprises the 108th Guards Div, 109th Guards Div and the 320th Rifle Div has no HQ unit on the map.
I have checked both the normal and _Alt scenarios, no one has the 37th Corps Hq.

Is this intentional?

If so, what should I do?
Attach the divisions of the Corp to other Hq?

Happy New Year!
Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2020, 09:59 PM,
RE: Budapest 45 Russian OoB question
P.S.
I haven't yet updated to 2.02, me and my opponent are waiting to finish the game first.
12-31-2020, 03:18 AM,
Hard telling if intentional or not, it has been years since the game was built, and the main designer isn't around here that I know of. I would suggest handling it best you can. If it cripples the Soviet side, WDS could consider adding the HQ in.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
12-31-2020, 02:09 PM,
There is a HQ unit for the corps in the OOB but none of the versions, going back to the original HPS version, has the HQ in the game and there does not seem to be anyway to add to the scenario.
I am surprised that no one has ever caught this problem before.
12-31-2020, 02:15 PM,
I have to do a Budapest '45 patch update for a minor issue with the graphics for congestion. I was waiting until the end of this patch cycle. I'll add the HQ into the scenarios now and they will be part of the update.

David
12-31-2020, 02:31 PM,
(12-31-2020, 02:09 PM)Bioman Wrote: There is a HQ unit for the corps in the OOB but none of the versions, going back to the original HPS version, has the HQ in the game and there does not seem to be anyway to add to the scenario.
I am surprised that no one has ever caught this problem before.

Like everything this is more complicated than it should be and I'm not certain of the designers intent.

There are two 37th Rifle Corps in the OOB to reflect that the 46th Army changed between the 2nd and 3rd Ukraine Front. The 27th Corps HQ you can see is from the latter (the wrong one).

The right HQ is in the strategy options, but only arrives if the 'Centre' option is chosen. This may be intentional to allow those divisions to move more freely and less so if the one of the flank options is chosen. I'm not certain what the intent was.

The simplest thing I can do is remove the HQ from the single strategy option and place it on the map.

Thoughts?

David
12-31-2020, 02:33 PM,
The armor values in Budapest have been messed up for years. German MKIVh has an attack value of 41 in both the Alt and non Alt scenarios but the Russian T34-85 has an attack value of 17 in the non Alt and a value of 30 in the Alt versions. For the Panther it is 59 for alt and 46 for non alt. In other words the Germans have basically the higher alt version stats at all times and the Russians are stuck with very substandard tanks in the non alt version.

In Normandy the Vg is either 45 or 33 and the IVh is 33 or 24 depending on whether the Alt version or not.

It was my understanding that ALL combat values for each model of tank was going to be the same in all of the different games Obviously that has not happened.
12-31-2020, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2020, 02:43 PM by Strela.)
(12-31-2020, 02:33 PM)Bioman Wrote: The armor values in Budapest have been messed up for years. German MKIVh has an attack value of 41 in both the Alt and non Alt scenarios but the Russian T34-85 has an attack value of 17 in the non Alt and a value of 30 in the Alt versions. For the Panther it is 59 for alt and 46 for non alt. In other words the Germans have basically the higher alt version stats at all times and the Russians are stuck with very substandard tanks in the non alt version.

In Normandy the Vg is either 45 or 33 and the IVh is 33 or 24 depending on whether the Alt version or not.

It was my understanding that ALL combat values for each model of tank was going to be the same in all of the different games Obviously that has not happened.

That was never committed to.

The original scenarios were as per the original designers values. The Alt scenarios are Ed Williams and the intention there was to have them all consistent. I can't comment on differences between Alt scenarios, but can ask Ed if required.

We only started using Ed's values as the default in game from Kharkov '43.

I hope that helps, but we have a rule to only fix bugs if apparent or get the original designers permission to change values in their work.

David
12-31-2020, 07:30 PM,
I too am playing Prelude at the moment. Which strategy decision do you mean, David? Because the Russian player first turn strategy decision actually says that the 'SW' option was the historical one - that's what it says in that strategy decision pop-up. The 'Central' decision is not labelled as the 'historical' one.
12-31-2020, 09:55 PM,
(12-31-2020, 02:15 PM)Strela Wrote: I have to do a Budapest '45 patch update for a minor issue with the graphics for congestion. I was waiting until the end of this patch cycle. I'll add the HQ into the scenarios now and they will be part of the update.

David

Thanks David for the quick response.
Now I have to explain my opponent that we must stop the scenario.  Big Grin