• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Wasteful AI use of guns
12-28-2020, 09:31 AM,
Wasteful AI use of guns
Currently playing the GOODWOOD scenario in Normandy and have noticed that, on several occasions, the AI will change stationary guns into travel mode only to change them back to stationary again without moving them. Result is that my side get opportunity fire and usually take out a gun or two. Makes it even easier to win against the AI  Helmet Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2020, 10:20 AM,
RE: Wasteful AI use of guns
(12-28-2020, 09:31 AM)rocketman Wrote: Currently playing the GOODWOOD scenario in Normandy and have noticed that, on several occasions, the AI will change stationary guns into travel mode only to change them back to stationary again without moving them. Result is that my side get opportunity fire and usually take out a gun or two. Makes it even easier to win against the AI  Helmet Rolleyes

The  AI is only suitable as a teacher of the mechanics an an opportunity to work out how to effectively use your units.
Head to Head play with a live opponent is much better.  This game system is more complicated and subtle in the application of strategy and tactics than any AI could be for the price point of the games.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-28-2020, 07:56 PM,
That's no doubt all true, Dog Soldier, but it nevertheless sounds like a bug that the AI would needlessly switch between T mode, to no purpose, no?
12-29-2020, 01:18 AM,
(12-28-2020, 07:56 PM)phoenix Wrote: That's no doubt all true, Dog Soldier, but it nevertheless sounds like a bug that the AI would needlessly switch between T mode, to no purpose, no?

Yes, true. Currently play against AI to gain enough confidence to start PBEM. Seems like a lot of folks here have a lot of experience so I need some solid base to stand on. Going to get some more games in the sale and then start PBEM. I remember when I switched from playing Combat Mission only vs AI to PBEM and boy did the finer nuances of the game only then appear. And the enjoyment as well.
12-29-2020, 01:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2020, 01:31 AM by phoenix.)
I think hot seat is better practice for PBEM. The AI is very poor, no doubt about that. Some scenarios it can look passable, at the beginning. I really enjoy hot seat though. I'm old and lazy enough to forget a lot of detail if I play several large scenarios at once and always alternate turns. Sad, huh?
12-29-2020, 01:59 AM,
Not sad - each to his own, right :)
I could never do hotseat with myself because I enjoy the fog of war aspect too much.