• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Ikarus: the Axis Invasion of Iceland
12-21-2020, 11:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2020, 11:47 AM by Tankertony.)
New Game  Operation Ikarus: the Axis Invasion of Iceland
Finally time to release my Opus Magnus...Operation Ikarus. This is a hypothetical scenario centered around the Axis invasion of Iceland. The Germans actually did have rudimentary plans, code-named Ikarus (Icarus in English) for this possibility. Naturally, it never saw the light of day. There was that large island called Great Britain and the worlds second largest Navy standing in the way. 

Almost a year in the making, this very large (size 10) WEST FRONT scenario has a lot of everything: amphibious invasion, airborne drop,  plenty of armor, a huge map, night turns, marines, naval assets, commandos, spies, even Russians! etc. For those of you who enjoy logistical and/or organization challenges, moving those German divisions ashore, linking up with the Fallschirmjager, and orchestrating a competent drive on Reykjavik will be one the greatest tests of your skills. This scenario will also make an ideal team game. 

Given the amount of time and testing already put into it, I still am not one hundred percent comfortable with the victory conditions. It would probably take another year or two of testing to make it perfect. The operational objective of the Germans is to capture Reykjavik and destroy allied resistance on the island. So opponents can play for points or objectives. 
As it stands, both sides have a fair shot. I have certainly accounted for the initial big hit the Axis take on the beaches. 
Regardless, in the future after several more battles, there may be a further update of the victory conditions. 

I have attached the scenario files. I will also put this in the scenario listings. 
I will leave you with the scenario description, which clearly sets the stage for this hypothetical confrontation. 

Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Tankertony>>>

Southwest Iceland:[H2H, TEAM]: By the spring of 1945, most of Europe lay firmly under the Nazi jackboot. After the fall of France in 1940, Hitler was finally convinced to delay Operation Sealion until late April 1941. This proved wise, for by then the Germans were well prepared to cross the channel in force. Although it was a bitter, costly struggle, the last resistance in the British Isles had been stamped out by the end of 1942. This had also delayed Hitler's greatest ambition: Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union. Launched on the day before the Fuhrers birthday, April 19, 1942, the operation was a astounding success. By late 1944, all major objectives had been accomplished, and the Russian bear sent scurrying east of the Urals. 
For 1945, OKW intended to take care of some loose ends. This included driving out the remaining British Commonwealth forces in Palestine-Syria and parts of North Africa, moving on the Azores, and taking Iceland. Gibraltar had fallen with relative ease in the summer of 1943, ensuring that the Mediterranean Sea became an Axis lake. Although enduring painful Allied submarine and commando raids staged out of the Azores, the admirals of the Kriegsmarine, and Hitler himself, knew that Iceland would be the greater prize. Although the Royal Navy had taken a terrible beating and had fallen back to bases in Canada and the United States, it still exerted a powerful influence in the north Atlantic due to this strategic island. Capturing it would secure the Reich's northern flank, force assistance to the floundering Russians to go thru the Pacific, and green-light the planned occupation of Greenland in preparation for one of Hitler's dreams: strategic bombing of the eastern seaboard of the U.S. and Canada.
So the Axis settled on a plan: Operation Ikarus, to launch a feint attack on the Azores with the quite powerful Italian Navy in the vanguard. Meanwhile, the Kriegsmarine would strike quickly and decisively from bases in Norway and Britain towards Iceland, clearing the way for the largest armada ever assembled by the Axis powers. Five crack divisions would lead the assault, supported by the 1st Fallschirmjager division staging out of the Faroe Islands. These men would be the first to jump from the Luftwaffes burgeoning strategic bomber fleet, recently converted into troop transports. The assault was to target the southwest quadrant of the island, where most of the population, ports, and other assets were located. Objective: Reykjavik.
As for the Allies, they had spent years building up the defenses of Iceland. The remnants of the U.S. 2nd Armored Division, having been withdrawn from Britain during its death throes, was sent to Iceland, and was by 1945 largely re-constituted. There were also several brigades of British troops and even some Russians who had escaped the fall of Murmansk, complete with some rolling stock. Sensing that the Germans were about to make their move on the island, the Joint Chiefs authorized further assets to be sent to the island, including a U.S. light armored division and some British units. These were about to arrive when the Axis fleet was sighted over the eastern horizon.

Attached Files
.zip   Iceland.zip (Size: 155.77 KB / Downloads: 9)
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2020, 11:42 AM,
RE: Operation Ikarus: the Axis Invasion of Iceland
Thanks Tankertony, you did good, I appreciate the share!! Smile

Now I have something to study over the Christmas Holidays. Interesting concept to say the least!

Merry Christmas to you and your family Tony!!

Big Ivan Cigar5
12-23-2020, 06:04 AM,
Thank you for all your work completing your scenario. I have to say, it'll be interesting seeing what you cooked up. Iceland, hmmm!!
12-23-2020, 12:39 PM,
Thank you guys for the comments. Most people envision Iceland, naturally, as all ice and snow and glaciers and rock, and it is mostly that. But it is also on the tail end of the Atlantic gulfstream. During the summer months, in the southwest corner of the island (where this battle occurs), the weather is rather mild, reaching the an average high of 55 and low in the 40's. 

I used mostly Google Earth and maps to construct the map as faithfully as possible, to scale. Remember those early days of building scenarios and having to hunt for a decent map!!

One of the most striking things about the topography is the utter lack of trees and forests. With this one thing, and the occasional village, I've taken certain liberties for the games sake. Also, adding short trails at certain points so that motorized leaders can cross rough terrain. (a small oversight from the game designers I guess, if armored units can enter rough terrain, at a penalty of 65, their motorized leaders should be able to go with them!)

Tankertony>>>