• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Games I've Been Playing Lately
12-15-2020, 06:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 07:15 AM by DB_Zero.)
Games I've Been Playing Lately
I have a ton of games I own, but haven't played. Covid has given me the time to play more. Matrix has its annual sale and I bought everything that interest me. Someday I'll get around to trying them out more in depth.

The Scourge of War series really impresses me. Its worth taking a look at if you haven't done so yet.

Flashpoint Campaigns is also a lot of fun.

Right now though its Paradox EU4 that has gotten my attention. I had it for years, but never got into it. Its not easy to learn. I finally took the time to learn it and spent hours watching youtube tutorials and after 90 hours of play I'm finally getting the hang of it. There is still a lot to learn though.

Imperator Rome is another one I've played quite a bit lately. Its sucked badly when it was released and I stopped playing after a few hours. The updates has really made the game pretty good and there is an update that is scheduled to be released-hopefully soon, that will turn IR into IR ver 2.0. The changes to the military system and other changes look very promising.

Who knows maybe IR will eventually turn out to be better that EU4.

I also got Crusader Kings 3. Played it a little, but still need to learn it better.

The other game I've played quite a bit lately is Gravteam Tactics. I owned it for years and at first though it poorly thought out and terrible. I decided to give it another chance and like EU4 had to spend hours watching youtube to learn the game, but once I learned it I found it to be the best war simulator I've played. As much as I love Combat Mission I now think Gravteam is better.

I  bought all the modules as well as Operation Star and Tank Battle Tunisia.

If you have Atilla Total War, there is a Medieval mod that was just updated on Saturday. I love the Total War series and earned the title butcher as I've killed over 100,000 men in battles so far. The mod is Medieval Kingdoms 1212. They finally filled out the tech tree and some of the new features look pirated from the EU 4 series. No problem with me. Imitation is the sincerest form a flattery.

Fields of Glory 2 is another one I'm waiting for to get a new addition-The Medieval Period.
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2020, 07:51 AM,
RE: Games I've Been Playing Lately
Scourge of War is great. DarkRob does some excellent youtube videos about tactics and gameplay. Before watching I really had no idea how to play.
12-15-2020, 08:52 AM,
RE: Games I've Been Playing Lately
Scourge of War Civil War battles feel like the most authentic I've played. The Napoleonic battles also feel like the most authentic. Napoleon Total War looks nicer, but Scourge of War mechanics do a better job simulating the feel of warfare during that period.

The use of sprites may turn some people off as its not as pretty, but I don't think you could get it to run well on most computers if they used 3D graphics. You would need a very powerful system.