• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How different are we?
12-14-2020, 02:26 AM,
Feedback Needed  How different are we?
Interested to know how people play the game and how different we are when we play. I play PBEM only so do not use the A.I I will play any scenario from any Campaign but when choosing myself I choose the biggest. Sides that varies from title in regard to preference but I will generally try any side in any scenario.
   As for when playing I use 
1) 2D Normal view (occasionally going to magnified and again occasionally zooming out)
2) Always have divisional markings on
3) Always use the Nato symbols (even though the others are far prettier)
4) look at objectives occasionally same with supply sources

Shading is very important to me usually Reachable is the most important especially when coupled with the S thing in the toolbar that allows you to change travel mode or save enough points to fire. Command Range Target Hexes Max range and Visibility also all get used a fair bit.

Highlighting is always set to organisation with the occasional switch to indirect fire spotters the other highlight options I don't think I ever use. I also play with the complete toolbar.

Now wondering is this the same for anyone else or are we all very different?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

P.S Always move all my units myself as well never use any of the automated stuff.
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 03:28 AM,
RE: How different are we?
(12-14-2020, 02:26 AM)typhoon Wrote: I play PBEM only  
Prefer PBEM, will use AI to study the game.

I will play any scenario from any Campaign but when choosing myself I choose the biggest. 
Same - I prefer the whole to the parts.

I will generally try any side in any scenario.
Same

1) 2D Normal view (occasionally going to magnified and again occasionally zooming out)

Ditto 

Shading 
Use it fairly often, no particular preponderance. 

Highlighting 
As above.

Always move all my units myself   
I use "Immediate AI Orders" (i.e. Alt-Rght Click) to move road columns, especially in rear areas. 
12-14-2020, 03:37 AM,
(12-14-2020, 03:28 AM)squarian Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 02:26 AM)typhoon Wrote: I play PBEM only  
Prefer PBEM, will use AI to study the game.

I will play any scenario from any Campaign but when choosing myself I choose the biggest. 
Same - I prefer the whole to the parts.

I will generally try any side in any scenario.
Same

Ditto 

Shading 
Use it fairly often, no particular preponderance. 

Highlighting 
As above.

Always move all my units myself   
I use "Immediate AI Orders" (i.e. Alt-Rght Click) to move road columns, especially in rear areas. 

I'm mostly the same as you, but I usually prefer to have the "show disrupted" highlighted.

But I do switch that around a bit. Sometimes I need to keep track of my engineers, for example, so I'll switch into that mode momentarily. I also check my organizations regularly.

Oh, and I will use the A/I movement to move long columns, if they are not near any known enemy units, but on those occasional uses of the A/I to move a unit, I am often frustrated at their stupid choices.

I will play against the A/I only rarely, say when a new title comes out and I want to see some of its action, but this game system really shines in pbem play.
12-14-2020, 05:54 AM,
(12-14-2020, 02:26 AM)typhoon Wrote: Interested to know how people play the game and how different we are when we play. I play PBEM only so do not use the A.I I will play any scenario from any Campaign but when choosing myself I choose the biggest. Sides that varies from title in regard to preference but I will generally try any side in any scenario.

Shading is very important to me usually Reachable is the most important especially when coupled with the S thing in the toolbar that allows you to change travel mode or save enough points to fire. Command Range Target Hexes Max range and Visibility also all get used a fair bit.

Highlighting is always set to organisation with the occasional switch to indirect fire spotters the other highlight options I don't think I ever use. I also play with the complete toolbar.

P.S Always move all my units myself as well never use any of the automated stuff.

I'm still fairly new to JTS, but here's my 2 cents: 
  • Definitely prefer PBEM, but still using the AI to learn new games.
  • Have shied away from the big scenarios, mostly because I don't have a feel for how to manage units fatigue long term. Also the idea of a game lasting months is not appealing. Not yet, anyway...
  • Same as you as far as views, markings, Nato. My only complaint about the Nato markings is I wish the units also had standard military size markings (i.e., company, battalion, regiment, etc.)
  • I use shading for reachable hexes, visibility, command range
  • I use highlighting (moved units) to keep track of which units I've moved/fired. Never got the hang of the N(ext) key shortcut... I also use organization highlighting. 
  • My first game was PzB North Africa, so I am very partial to that big, two row toolbar. I'm slowly getting used to the PzC toolbar; don't even get me started on the black powder versions!
  • I do use the automated movement, but still get burned when the AI moves it somewhere stupid (like into a minefield or something).
12-14-2020, 07:25 AM,
Only ever play PBEM.
Campaign games only.
Rarely play anyone other than trusted friends these days.
12-14-2020, 08:05 AM,
Seldom play against the AI, and then only small scenarios. I much prefer PBEM and mostly the larger scenarios (100+ turns). With the large scenarios I like the fact that there can be strategic options and the outcome doesn't necessarily hinge on one decision or battle.

Most used feature is to highlight moved units, which is how I keep track of who is doing what. Always move every unit myself.
12-14-2020, 08:19 AM,
Have only played AI, except against RileySmith in mod Camps. -  very few pbem OPPs
2d only - reminds me of a boardgame.. perfect
use the move shader all the time
save my shots, all the time
move them all- AI move like a bad chess player
nato counters

Would like to dwell into the world of PBEM more.. novice level?.. enjoy your ass kickings while you can tho..
Dev, don't take long to figure it out, before he brings wrath, upon your sillys.. Rolling Eyes

Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
12-14-2020, 09:36 PM,
(12-14-2020, 02:26 AM)typhoon Wrote: Interested to know how people play the game and how different we are when we play. I play PBEM only so do not use the A.I I will play any scenario from any Campaign but when choosing myself I choose the biggest. Sides that varies from title in regard to preference but I will generally try any side in any scenario.

1)  2D all the way, will zoom in to 3D occasionally to get a different POV, but all play is 2D
2)  Always have divisional markings on.....command and control is important...love to play opponents who scatter their units all over the map. 
3)  NATO symbols always.  The effort JTS puts into the pretty pictures is (respectfully) wasted on me.  They have VM on their staff now and he produced the best unit art the PzC world ever saw "back in the day".  I miss his art more than anything about the old days.  For my money, they should use the NATO symbols on counters and high quality art in the left side panels.  But hey, I'm just one opinion.
4)   Always conscious of objectives and supply sources.  Have been accused of "playing gamey" because I can steal a win with a last turn objective switch....but that's what they're there for.
5)  Love the reachable hexes shading, it's the one thing I miss most when playing the ACW titles.
6)  Yup organization is everything in any scenario of any length.
7)  Move all units myself always.  Have dabbled with the AI orders, and quite frankly I don't trust him  Wink
12-15-2020, 12:34 AM,
3)  NATO symbols always.  The effort JTS puts into the pretty pictures is (respectfully) wasted on me.  They have VM on their staff now and he produced the best unit art the PzC world ever saw "back in the day".  I miss his art more than anything about the old days.  For my money, they should use the NATO symbols on counters and high quality art in the left side panels.  But hey, I'm just one opinion.

All VM's art was from Osprey and was copywrite so we could not officially use it. I didn't think our colourised art was that bad?

David
12-15-2020, 06:12 AM,
(12-15-2020, 12:34 AM)Strela Wrote: 3)  NATO symbols always.  The effort JTS puts into the pretty pictures is (respectfully) wasted on me.  They have VM on their staff now and he produced the best unit art the PzC world ever saw "back in the day".  I miss his art more than anything about the old days.  For my money, they should use the NATO symbols on counters and high quality art in the left side panels.  But hey, I'm just one opinion.

All VM's art was from Osprey and was copywrite so we could not officially use it. I didn't think our colourised art was that bad?

David

Agreed! Love VM artwork, but the Gold versions are fairly equal in my opinion!