• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Do you play Sealion '40?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
59.26%
16 59.26%
No
40.74%
11 40.74%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do You Play Sealion '40?
12-14-2020, 01:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 01:39 AM by Kool Kat.)
c_Question Mark  Do You Play Sealion '40?
Gents: Smoke7

I have been fascinated with the German plans for the invasion of Great Britain following the fall of France in 1940.

But I also know that the German wrestling air superiority from the RAF, keeping the British Royal Navy away, and then landing and supplying the tons of daily supplies needed for the daily operations of divisions, was far fetched and defiantly stretching the boundaries of realism.

So, before I take advantage of the JTS Winter Sale, I wish to conduct this poll to see how many Blitz players own Sealion '40 since I will only play these games via PBeM. Please respond. Thank you!
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2020, 01:42 AM,
RE: Do You Play Sealion '40?
(12-14-2020, 01:29 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Gents: Smoke7

I have been fascinated with the German plans for the invasion of Great Britain following the fall of France in 1940.

But I also know that the German wrestling air superiority from the RAF, keeping the British Royal Navy away, and then landing and supplying the tons of daily supplies needed for the daily operations of divisions, was far fetched and defiantly stretching the boundaries of realism.

So, before I take advantage of the JTS Winter Sale, I wish to conduct this poll to see how many Blitz players own Sealion '40 since I will only play these games via PBeM. Please respond. Thank you!

I have it and have played it. It is an interesting exercise, due to the uniqueness of the terrain, if not due to the situation, itself.

It's fun.
12-14-2020, 02:03 AM,
I'm like Liebchen, I think its a great situation and I have tried it a number of times against the AI (I wish I had time to PBEM!).

It's worth your time, but then I believe every game in the series has real strengths. The big positive with all the hypotheticals covered by JTS is that they have used actual plans that the various parties had in place. That shows in Sealion, Olympic & Coronet. The only one that varies a little is Fall Kreml in Moscow '42. The Germans always planned to hit Southern Russia in Fall Blau and Fall Kreml was just a ruse. The Soviets though believed the ruse and had the bulk of their new tank corps based around Moscow. For these scenarios, I took the starting position of the various forces as of June 1942 and changed one parameter, the northern arm of the forces that were in Fall Blau went North East not South East. Otherwise everything was completely historical.

So my vote is give Sealion a look, its a fascinating situation.

David
12-14-2020, 04:59 AM,
I voted no, because that is technically the truth, but I have really been considering buying it. I just finished "The Rise of Germany" by James Holland and it got me thinking about Sealion and concomitantly, purchasing Sealion '40 and taking a look. So don't take my "no" vote too seriously.
12-14-2020, 05:58 AM,
I haven't played it, don't own it, and it's pretty low on my list due to being a hypothetical scenario (same with Japan 45/46). Maybe someday, but I just feel there's too much historical stuff out there to justify spending time with hypotheticals...
12-14-2020, 06:28 AM,
I thought i had all titles!

With your poll you reminded me that there´s still a hypothetical Campaign out there which i haven´t bought so far.

I will immediately switch over to the Tiller store after all it´s Christmas Time! 

Thanks ! .... and the Tiller guys should send you half the money  Big Laugh
12-14-2020, 06:31 AM,
I don't own it, but I've been tempted, it does look interesting. I look at games registered under the title to see how much activity and compare it to games released just after it to see how they stack up. I checked Seal Lion and it has a total of 34 recorded games since it was released compared to at least 3 times as many for Tunisia and Kharkov 43 released after it. It might not be a fair comparing it with historical games.

I mainly pbem the Napoleonic Series and have played and bought PzC for my kids who haven't been humoring me lately with games. I would like to play more PzC pbem, but work and all that jazz has gotten in the way.

Like all of these games, they are very well done and my hat is off to the developers and researchers on what great work they do.
12-14-2020, 06:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 07:20 AM by RedDevil.)
I've spent 3 days now, loading my cart up on the Tiller xmas sale.. Sealion has been put in the cart every time.

I've played many an Axis and Allies game, as the Germans and had taken England out several times..
Even successfully invaded them in Totaler Krieg,
Played Jason Petro's version in the CSWF series and won as the Germans,
Victory in the PanzerGeneral series and Panzer Korps one as well..
A worthy hypothetical series, IMHO

Dev

Well Feck it.. the wife will get over it..
I now own sealion and 6 other titles
Sealion
waterloo
France 40
France 14
normandy 44
Japan 45
Mex Ami war
Panzer battles demo

Need a game KK? holler.
Dev
Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us.... "We were never to say die or surrender" -- Chard
12-14-2020, 08:57 AM,
Gents:  Smoke7

Thank you all for your feedback and votes! 

I will purchase Sealion '40.

Looking forward to some alt-history gaming!  Wink
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
12-14-2020, 09:24 PM,
1)  Yes I do own it
2)  I will willingly play it
3)  I find it among the more enjoyable titles because no one ever gets to complain that the title sucks because it doesn't mirror history precisely.

Seriously, would be happy to play a game of Sea Lion any time.