• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why have different clubs
12-23-2020, 06:10 AM,
RE: Why have different clubs
Steel God--in the case of Napoleonics, most of the titles in the series play a little different from others. Some of that is becuase there were basically 3 different design teams but a lot of it is because each nationality organized their armies differently, especially in the earlier period and over time the way the armies are organized, and the way you play them, changes. So even if I train 4 people a year ( as I did this year) they all have different games, they all have different styles, and I am perhaps an above average player, not a great one, so there are limits of what I can teach them. And the engine leads to a level of complexity that, for example, the Civil War games do not have, which also makes everyone play a little differently. Some folks are savants with the possibilities of cavalry and others never quite get how to maximize cavalry. Some people like to play with "historical" house rules or try to discipline themselves to stay close to history (it is one thing to keep one's brigades together--it is another to keep regiments together in a 50 turn game)--and it seems everyone has their own idea of what history was like....

But if someone has a question about bridge repair, or a scenario, they can shoot me an email. The NWC is a community focused on one period. Lots of us there play other eras here at the Blitz. We have forums for the French and one for the Coalition for tactical questions. And a main forum for all kinds for all kinds questions.
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2021, 01:20 AM,
A bit OT but a number of members have posted about returning to The Blitz after a while away, and that'd include me too (c 4 years away). Largely because I found gaming, especially on-line real-time like World of Tanks in a club team say, was becoming increasingly politicized. So I stepped away from all of it- even the PBEM I loved.

Coming back now post-election and looking around at the debris, it's great to see Blitz still going. I was also with WarfareHQ for a while until it folded, and only joined that really because I found it first and it seemed to have more on TOAW.

But Quick OT Q for anyone here who ever frequented them- does anyone know what happened or is happening to Armchair General and its forums? I bailed out of those as too toxic and looks like the forums got closed for that exact reason, but site itself looks stripped out too, and can't find much searching around. Any pointers by PM appreciated!
01-18-2021, 06:03 AM,
(01-18-2021, 01:20 AM)General Staff Wrote: But Quick OT Q for anyone here who ever frequented them- does anyone know what happened or is happening to Armchair General and its forums? I bailed out of those as too toxic and looks like the forums got closed for that exact reason, but site itself looks stripped out too, and can't find much searching around. Any pointers by PM appreciated!

I found a forum page on archive.org from October of 2020. Looks like the forum went out of action in November. NOTE: the archive is just the forum landing page, you can't actually surf it. Most, if not all, of the links won't work. They used vbulletin for their bulletin board software, which must be paid for. Perhaps someone thought it was no longer worth it? Or they didn't pay to upgrade? Could also be that no one has contacted them to ask and they don't know it's down?

Anyway, welcome back to the Blitz. Not too many of us old WarfareHQ guys around anymore (where I was known on their CS forum as General Confusion).  Smile

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-19-2021, 07:13 AM,
Thanks. I see another old main stay bit the dust too- Rugged Defence- where LoL I was known as General Mayhem ;-) - from a post here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4569770 .

I see gamesquad.com is still going (the successor to WarfareHQ?) though TOAW and a lot of other games' forums are archived.

On topic, I dimly remember helping to organize a tournament between Blitz and WHQ ages ago, Sands of Africa or somesuch, using Tobruk 41? So cooperation was/is eminently possible. I was a member of 3 clubs in the search for opponents, rather than nay preference for one over another, though some seemed to focus more on the games I was interested in, like TOAW.
01-19-2021, 07:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 07:43 AM by Scud.)
(01-19-2021, 07:13 AM)General Staff Wrote: Thanks. I see another old main stay bit the dust too- Rugged Defence- where LoL I was known as General Mayhem ;-) - from a post here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4569770 .

I see gamesquad.com is still going (the successor to WarfareHQ?) though TOAW and a lot of other games' forums are archived.

On topic, I dimly remember helping to organize a tournament between Blitz and WHQ ages ago, Sands of Africa or somesuch, using Tobruk 41? So cooperation was/is eminently possible. I was a member of 3 clubs in the search for opponents, rather than nay preference for one over another, though some seemed to focus more on the games I was interested in, like TOAW.

WarfareHQ went through a couple of name changes before he settled on Gamesquad, though those are the only two I remember. Don Maddox was the owner(?) He was always mucking with the design. One day I logged in and the CS ladder was gone. Never got an explanation. No way to post game results and one-by-one we all started leaving. I'm biased, of course, but I see the dedication going on behind the scenes here at the Blitz. We've learned from others mistakes, as well as our own and the club is the better for it.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
01-19-2021, 01:42 PM,
That name thru up a reminder.. It's where our group KG used to play 20y ago and post games when it hosted ladders.. Checked and CM posts are archived.. Morgue..