• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Normandy '44 AAR
04-24-2021, 09:25 PM,
RE: Normandy '44 AAR
Turn 83. 08:00 14 June 1944. 

Visibility is one hex.

Apologies for the very lengthy break between turn updates. I was a little worried that the game had sorts died, but it turns out my opponent was just busy in real life, as can happen. The game has actually moved on a fair bit lately and there has been a considerable amount of action, so I was keen to start posting again. It's a little slow for a bit but I will try and catch up to the game.

Starting at the far western edge of the map around Caen as usual, and not much action here. 21st Panzer and the 346th Infantry Division are reasonably placed although the terrain does not favour the defender. Fortunately little Allied activity in this sector.

[Image: T83%20Caen.PNG]

A little further west and looking west of Caen where the 12th SS and elements of Panzer Lehr are in position. Again not much action here despite the presence of the UK 7th Armored Division. They are attacking but without much resolve and the Germans should be ok here as the 12th SS is a quality unit. Lines of defence are also quite deep.

[Image: T83%20Bayeux.PNG]

Further to west and looking just north of St Lo. This is probably the weak point for the German line, with a mixed bag of paratroopers, low quality infantry and units from Panzer Lehr in place. The Allies have quite a few units here and this could well be the area they might make a major push.

[Image: T83%20St%20Lo.PNG]

Further west again and a zoomed out shot of the Cherbourg Peninsula. German units have been trying to make an organised withdrawal to the defensive line at the bottom of the image and have been left relatively unmolested by the Allies.

[Image: T83%20Cherbourg.PNG]

Here is a look at the zoomed view of the entire front, showing positions of key German units.

[Image: T83%20Zoomed%20out.PNG]

A look at the jump map and you can see the very solid German front line, which I have managed to keep as straight (and therefore as short) as possible.

[Image: T83%20Jump%20Map.PNG]

And finally, the victory points situation. The points differential is still reasonably stable, which is likely due to a bit of a lack  of action across the front.

[Image: T83%20VP.PNG]

Overall things are fairly static, however as mentioned the game has picked up a fair bit (we are on turn 105 or so in the game) so I might try and bring it up to date as soon as possible.
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2021, 04:47 AM,
Glad to see the game is going strong still! Thoroughly enjoying the AAR!
07-24-2021, 10:22 PM,
(04-25-2021, 04:47 AM)PlanB71401 Wrote: Glad to see the game is going strong still! Thoroughly enjoying the AAR!

Is this thing still going?
cheers
07-25-2021, 06:09 AM,
Yes, the game is still going but I have been slack with keeping the AAR up to date. I'll try and fix that.
12-20-2021, 11:37 AM,
A final update for this game. We ended the game on Turn 122 - the 18th of June 1944. We think that something went haywire as the weather was stuck at 1 hex visibility for at least a couple of days. We then advanced the game (not making any moves) a further 2 days and it did not change. This was a severe handicap for the Allied player who could not use their air power, so it didn't make sense to continue.

This is the final front line:

[Image: entire%20front.JPG]

A very very dense front, more like World War1! I'm no sure the Allied player could have broken through, certainly not without his air force.

This is the jump map:

[Image: jump%20map.JPG]

and this is the VP situation:

[Image: victory.JPG]

It was a shame to end the game, but truth be told it had become a bit of a grind by that stage.