• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Creating SB Campaign Games
02-28-2021, 01:05 AM,
RE: Creating SB Campaign Games
(02-27-2021, 10:35 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 01:09 PM)Warhorse Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 09:21 AM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 08:05 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Well, it appears AoTR is just not made for it, as there was no campaign routine set up? It will advance until it should load the scenario, then errors out. Mine was made for my mod, so unless you have the mod and all, it won't work, it was an imported Finnish one from Winter War. My mod now has them as well as the Japanese and Chinese, allied Bulgarians, etc.

But I believe Embis was trying out Tour of Duty, not AoTR? I think ToD does support campaigns.

Congrats about your mod! I've been looking for custom campaigns but I've only come up with scenarios.

Hmm, my bad, was sure he was trying one in AoTR?! Thanks about the Mod, always a work in progress.

My bad, you're absolutely right, he was using ToD as a template but intended to work on AotR.
The obstacle here may be unsurmountable as AotR effectively seems to lack hardcoded campaign support.

What about your mod, isn't it built on AotR? How are you handling campaigns? Sorry for all the questions but I'm interested in seeing what can be done.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, the titles are similar in structure, but each is also unique to certain capabilities as well. for instance, I added in Japan to the Mod, but they won't be able to Banzai, it is not supported in aoTR, but the Russians can Human Wave. But, my Axis Russians/Guards, won't be able to Human Wave. Unfortunately, due to the problem, AoTR/Mod won't have campaigns, unless this is somehow overcome, a shame, really.

I am always digging into the intricacies of games, which led me to mostly modding as opposed to playing the various games over the 30+ years I've been into computer wargaming! Started out with Steel Panthers 1, then got the original East Front, figured out how to play with that, and the rest is history!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2021, 11:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 11:25 PM by Xerxes77.)
(02-28-2021, 01:05 AM)Warhorse Wrote: I am always digging into the intricacies of games, which led me to mostly modding as opposed to playing the various games over the 30+ years I've been into computer wargaming! Started out with Steel Panthers 1, then got the original East Front, figured out how to play with that, and the rest is history

I totally get that. I've definitely spent more time tinkering with this game than playing it! Right now I'm thinking of ways of expanding it, i.e. implementing a branching & semi-dynamic campaign system similar to other JTS titles instead of the (a bit pointless, IMO) string of fixed scenarios. A random map generator would be another fun addition.
03-02-2021, 07:14 AM,
(03-01-2021, 11:24 PM)Xerxes77 Wrote:
(02-28-2021, 01:05 AM)Warhorse Wrote: I am always digging into the intricacies of games, which led me to mostly modding as opposed to playing the various games over the 30+ years I've been into computer wargaming! Started out with Steel Panthers 1, then got the original East Front, figured out how to play with that, and the rest is history

I totally get that. I've definitely spent more time tinkering with this game than playing it! Right now I'm thinking of ways of expanding it, i.e. implementing a branching & semi-dynamic campaign system similar to other JTS titles instead of the (a bit pointless, IMO) string of fixed scenarios. A random map generator would be another fun addition.

Something similar to the dynamic campaign that the JT Campaign Series has would be cool!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
03-02-2021, 12:34 PM,
(03-02-2021, 07:14 AM)Warhorse Wrote: Something similar to the dynamic campaign that the JT Campaign Series has would be cool!

Hmm, will have to look into that! Never played those games. There are other JTS series like the Civil War games which have a more involved campaign system. But that may be overkill for the small operations simulated in SB.

I was actually inspired by the campaign book for the Memoir '44 boardgame. They have a bunch of short campaigns with linked scenarios and varied outcomes. I thought that would translate nicely to a game like SB given the scale and structure of the battles. That seems to be well within reach, but I'd really like to see more advanced features like "core" unit carryover. Need more time to test all that. We'll see.
09-24-2021, 06:21 AM,
c_Question Mark  RE: Creating SB Campaign Games
I'm just starting to take a look at this...

I've pinged an email to the OP but has anyone else got an example campaign I can use to check this out? I had a look through the thread but couldn't find any attachments.
WDS Modern Air Power | WDS Naval Campaigns | WDS Squad Battles | WDS Strategic War
09-25-2021, 01:34 AM,
(09-24-2021, 06:21 AM)parmenio Wrote: I'm just starting to take a look at this...

I've pinged an email to the OP but has anyone else got an example campaign I can use to check this out? I had a look through the thread but couldn't find any attachments.

Hi Andy,
Great to know that this is being  looked at. Email and link to files sent.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
09-25-2021, 02:53 AM,
(09-25-2021, 01:34 AM)Embis Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 06:21 AM)parmenio Wrote: I'm just starting to take a look at this...

Hi Andy,
Great to know that this is being  looked at. Email and link to files sent.

No problem Mark.... Email read and files downloaded...
WDS Modern Air Power | WDS Naval Campaigns | WDS Squad Battles | WDS Strategic War